Dirty Harry--Never Noticed before

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always thought (I was sure) that he carried the 8 3/8" Model 29.

Apparently I'm wrong (according to the Internet Movie Data Base), he carried the 6" Model 29.

So, I put the ole Dirty Harry disc in last night just to check.
It was late and I've only gotten to the first "so you have to ask yourself, do you feel lucky?"

I noticed something funny that I had never seen before.

When Clint Eastwood is driving past the idling bank robber car, and turns onto the street with the diner, there is a movie marquis that shows "Play Misty For Me" as the featured film.

Dave

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I saw that too.

Supposedly, they used a 6 inch S&W model 25 (.45 Long Colt) for all the muzzle shots in the film because of the larger diameter hole.

I haven't seen any bona-fide proof of this. Just folklore.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Apparently I'm wrong (according to the Internet Movie Data Base), he carried the 6" Model 29.

It was late and I've only gotten to the first "so you have to ask yourself, do you feel lucky?"

When Clint Eastwood is driving past the idling bank robber car, and turns onto the street with the diner, there is a movie marquis that shows "Play Misty For Me" as the featured film.

Dave
According to IMFDB (Internet Movie Firearms Database), both the 6 1/2" and 8 3/8" versions were used in the film. The 4" was called for in the script, but none could be found.
http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Dirty_Harry

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Dave

WHoa! That's a find for sure. Someone on here reported they saw cars driving in the background in another movie.

Yeah, I saw that too.

Supposedly, they used a 6 inch S&W model 25 (.45 Long Colt) for all the muzzle shots in the film because of the larger diameter hole.

I haven't seen any bona-fide proof of this. Just folklore.

Dang! I love finding stuff like this in old movies...guess it gives me an excuse to fire up the firestick and go watch Clint casually humble lucky/unlucky punks.

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was also under the same misunderstanding up until just a few months ago. After Googling, I found out the 8 3/8" was used for advertising(movie posters) and the 6 1/2" was used to 'shoot' the movie. After seeing all the movie posters with the 8 3/8" barrel, I just incorrectly assumed it was the one Harry carried in the movie.

Here is Hickok45 on Dirty Harry's 6 1/2" 29:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom