DISH Network - upgrade in progress...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did the $95 installation fee show up on this months bill?

It did not. Let me go check again, but as of last week, our bill has only gone up a few bucks, about what they said it would. I'll be back to report in a minute...

<edit> Nope. No extra charges. Looks like it all worked out the way they said it would this time.

FredNOk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I won't do either DISH or DirectTV. I no speak anything other than Okie, sometimes English is a total adventure, and I don't think I should have to pay for channels that I cannot understand the language when those same channels are provided on packages for foreign languages. Aside from that, I don't like having to subscribe to 150 channels to get 2 that I really want. I'd have to pay for 148 channels that I don't watch. It's the same with cable companies. All of that mess is a racket. I have digital antenna and Sling TV. For 30 bucks a month I pay for 50 channels and I watch about half of them. I can see the shows I want to watch when I want and not have to wait for it to come on at a certain time unless it is current season. Rarely do I watch current season broadcasts. That way I don't get involved in chat about the shows because I haven't seen them yet. LOL

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually, a lot of those channels you don't want, you don't pay for; they pay to be included in the package, thus subsidizing the ones you do. I was surprised to learn that as well.

Some of us are in places we can't get decent internet, so things like Sling aren't an option. I've found that my OTA antenna is sufficient, though, and can't beat the price.

FredNOk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it weren't for my total dependence on internet for almost all of my media needs, I'd be living out in the country. Unfortunately, I need good internet mainly for school work, but also for communication purposes. Until connection methods get better I'll be a town rat. Hopefully when that time rolls around I'll have hit the lottery and can afford my own country compound with a crocodile filled moat. LMAO. I'd go back to DISH if I got totally free equipment I needed to get their programming, choose my channels. I don't watch alot of TV. I can honestly say that about 10 hours a week is all I watch. I felt like I was throwing money away for almost no good reasoning by having cable and or satellite.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I watch less than 10h a week, I think. But my wife (and kid, of course) watch a helluva lot more than that. Cutting the cord isn't much option for me, even with the best, fastest internet available to me, the data usage is what would get me. Even with hundreds of gigabytes a month, we'd go over our data cap pretty GD'd quickly. It amazes me how much data streaming uses, unless you have completely crappy video quality. I've got a 65" TV, and it's not even one of those UHD 4k sets* and I can't stand watching anything non-HD. Ugh, drives me batty. lol

*Next step is an 80" UHD. Even saw an 85" Samsung UHD refurb the other day - really really wanted to pull the trigger at only $3k. Maybe this fall after the vacation or next spring. But I may need to wait until I get into a bigger place. :(

FredNOk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I watch less than 10h a week, I think. But my wife (and kid, of course) watch a helluva lot more than that. Cutting the cord isn't much option for me, even with the best, fastest internet available to me, the data usage is what would get me. Even with hundreds of gigabytes a month, we'd go over our data cap pretty GD'd quickly. It amazes me how much data streaming uses, unless you have completely crappy video quality. I've got a 65" TV, and it's not even one of those UHD 4k sets* and I can't stand watching anything non-HD. Ugh, drives me batty. lol

*Next step is an 80" UHD. Even saw an 85" Samsung UHD refurb the other day - really really wanted to pull the trigger at only $3k. Maybe this fall after the vacation or next spring. But I may need to wait until I g
Wow, that's alot of data usage! I have around 300 gigs of data with cableone. I limit myself on it as well as the 3 gigs of data I have on my phone. When I get close to using half of either, I go walking, do some extra studying at Cameron, or bug the hell out of friends until they threaten me with bodily harm. LOL

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did 2gigs on my phone trying to stream just one of the playoff games for the Thunder... that was my data usage for the month. Jeez.

I streamed some episodes of The Grand Tour on Amazon, and I think it said it was either 4.5 or 6 gigabytes an hour. That would eat up my data package real quick. And again, I have "100MB" internet and the highest data plan available in my area, paying something over $100/month. And of course, $139 or something to DISH.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, just checked some speed tests and checked my internet package.

My ISP (Cable One) shows a DL speed of 228Mbps and an UL speed of 10.5Mbps. This apparently is through speedtest.net

But testmy.net, which is non Flash-based, and is supposedly more accurate, shows this:
Download :: 71.9 Mbps 9 MB/s
tmnstatic.com_images_10_arrow_up_doubleM.png
Upload :: 4.8 Mbps 602 kB/s

Total per month is at 700GB, which must have gone up automatically - I think it was 400GB late last year. I don't remember. Looks like I upgraded to the "200Mbps" package at some point.

I can't see online how much my bill is. My wife pays that, so I dunno.

FredNOk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My buddy that lives out off Hwy 7 has Dish. His is unlimited, but speeds choked down after 10 gigs I believe. His reset was the 3rd. He's been choked down on data since Tuesday. I can't imagine spending 120.oo a month for DISH and running data out that quick. He don't even have Playboy Channel either!

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom