Distance is addicting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have fought the wind with the 308 and the 30-06 shooting 700 yards with bullets as large as the 178gr
It made me hold off any shots farther than 400 yards on game.
400 was a walk in the park.
This was pipeline shooting no grass just rocks with a large dip between me and the target.. swirling winds from every direction No hits from me or another shooter that day at 700.

One thing I do not know is will the OP be only shooting paper or will he be shooting at deer.
I just suggested the 300 WM for the reason of Hunting It retains more energy can be pushing heavies with High BC numbers.

Can't read the wind if you can't see the wind ,, We had wind from the left and right and in our faces and at out back as we walked the pipe line to the 700 yard target. and you could not see any of it.
700 yards pushed the limit of both of those guns in a situation like that .
OP said 750+ with the Plus at the end.. so maybe thinking farther..

No Idea if just paper or game also.
Only game I attempt to shoot at that far with Oklahoma winds would be hog or coyote as a miss or bad placed shot will not make me feel too bad like a bad placed shot on a deer. My 308 and 30-06 are not up to it.. Just need to Hunt instead of snipe.

If just paper punching you will have flags or possibly grasses you can read and many calibers will work.
I agree the 6.5's will be king at distance on paper and the match ammo they sell for it seem to be really well made.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're going to fight the wind no matter what you're shooting and you can always see it if you know how to operate your equipment. If someone is afraid to shoot at game beyond 400 yards due to wind then they didn't spend enough time behind the scope shooting in it and recording it.

Good luck Op, you're not going to find answers here. I suggest going to Long Range Hunter or Snipers Hide forum for answers. Take a few months and read before you ask questions. The folks at Snipers Hide aren't patience with new members.

If you want to screw up big time buy a Ruger or Mossberg in a belted magnum. This may satisfy your wallet but you'll regret it each and every range session not to mention the shooting expense. Your whole point should be towards practice. Practice in wind, practice in heat, practice in cold.....practice, practice, practice! Record everything in a data book during range sessions. Your ballistics will change due to atmospheric conditions.

Sure there are better chamberings that perform better in the wind than a 308 but even the best still need wind read into them. A 308 will cause you to read more accurately wind speed/values.
I shoot some of the highest BC billets for a 7mm and I still can't miss a wind call at distance. It's just my margin of error is a little greater than other calibers. But the whole point is learning to read the wind not learning to read it for a particular margin of error for a specific caliber.

Search the web for stocks, chassis, bottom metal, custom rifle builders, etc. for Remington, Ruger, Mossberg, Savage, Tikka, Howa, Winchester, Browning, and Weatherby and see which yields the most. There is a reason Remington and Remington clone actions dominate the long range shooting sport. Why would you want to handicap yourself getting into this sport with something that has little to no support for that which you want to accomplish? The reason I'm suggesting a Remington in 308 is because of its platform. It's the Harley Davidson, chevy engin, 1911 of the of the long range sport. When you tire of the 308 re barrel to a 6.5x47, 6.5 Creed, 243, 7-08 or 260 whatever floats your boat. In the mean time switch out to a Timney Trigger, Manners or McMillan stock, add bottom metal, thread the muzzle, bed the action. Do whatever to make it yours and to perform to your expectations. Can all this be done to a Savage? You bet!

For me I started LR shooting over 15 years ago with a Ruger M77 in 7mag. There wasn't crap to be had to make that rifle better for me. Next I bought a 300WSM in a Winchester. 180 gr bullets beat the **** out of me but support for the Winchester was better than the Ruger. Finally I sent it off and had a custom 7WSM built on the Winchester action. It's expensive to shoot, brass is non existent but it shoots straight, flat, and hits hard down range. If it wasn't for the muzzle break I would have sold it a long time ago. A 180gr bullet flying at 2900-3000 fps develops significant recoil.

All that being said what would I do different today given what I now know? I would have two rifles in different calibers. One for practice and one for long range hunting. Something in a 6.5mm for practice and maybe a 280ai for hunting (I'm a fan of 7mm). Both would be on a Remington/Remington clone action. Both would be on the same type stock, action (long/short), bottom metal, barrel/length etc. Ballistically, hopefully both would be similar. Brass would not be an issue. All I need now is a go fund me account, $6,000-$7,000 and I can get the ball rolling.

Good luck

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Get a Remington and get used to sending it back to the factory for repairs or the next recall.
Why anyone would get a Remington anymore is a mystery to me.

Savage has as much aftermarket support and it doesn't take a gunsmith to install things like barrels and bolt handles.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've seen just as many Savages go back for warranty work here lately as Remington's. I work with a guy who's Savage had to be rebarreled due to case head separation.

For every $1 you put in a Savage one might get $0.60-$0.50 in return. It has the heaviest bolt lift, grittiest action of any bolt out there. It's definitely the poor mans shootin iron.

It's great you can work on them yourself because you would waste your money having a smith do it. You can plaster that pig with all kinds of lip stick but it's still butt ugly. It's only saving grace is it will probably shoot good although it will still feel like a piece of junk when compared to other bolt actions.

This is coming from someone who doesn't own a Remington and shoots a Savage 260.

Latest posts

Top Bottom