Divining the way for barbarians

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Heeler

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Great read. Thanks for resharing!

I bought my M1A Scout for my fiftieth birthday back in 2007 prior to the 2008 election. My thought was that a pathetically weak RINO like McCain would not beat Clinton and that I may not get a chance to own one of the guns I had dreamed about owning since I was a child. Had a toy one growing up that along with a Mattel “Thompson” was my favorite.

Prior to getting my M1A, I never thought I had the need for a semi-auto rifle. I have plenty of bolt action guns and a Winchester 94 Trapper in 44 magnum (the original CAR ... Cowboy Assault Rifle). The fear of the election helped “want” overcame “need” and I got the M1A. Probably the most fun to shoot rifle I own. I had a scope on mine then went to a 2X Aimpoint. Have an EOTech on it now. Anything I can see I can hit. Also have a Bradley Cheek Rest ... highly recommend.

We could well “flounder” on our right to keep and bear arms especially if we don’t pick up one of the two Senate seats in GA. That said, the anti-gun left always say how they will get “tough” on guns but they have not. They had eight years of B HO and with that, had both the House and Senate for almost two full years and did nothing. Possibly because they realize what a loser argument it is for them politically. This time could be different.

In regard to Switzerland, they do have a high per capita of gun ownership with a relatively low gun crime. The reason for that is not that they have a lot of guns but that in their culture, they don’t shoot people for tennis shoes.

On the flip side, the anti-gun-rights ilk will always come back to sell how strict gun laws work in Japan. But like many who are “progressively challenged” (liberals with special needs), they slept through Statistics in college and seem to think that correlation implies causation. The gun laws in Japan are not responsible for their low gun crime rates. It is their culture. Japan had low gun crime rates prior to any gun laws on the books.

Your point on gun crime rates in zipcodes with strict gun laws is spot on ... but the liberal politicians will never fix it because to do that, they would have to reverse decades of failed (liberal) socio-economic policies that have hurt the inner city. They would also have to point out that the inner cities need to get their ____ (fill in the blank) together and quit killing each other. Fixing the problem would cost them votes so they will continue to blame the gun.

Forgot to add ... here is my M1A.

Attachments

• M1A Home Decorating.jpg
    M1A Home Decorating.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 121

Sgt Dog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Blue Heeler, enjoyed your comments as well.

would love to see a picture of your M1A with an EOTech on it. Have a hard time visualizing it. I’m gonna have to go with something before long. Have very advanced Glaucoma. U’ve managed to stick with irons in the venue I shoot, Black Powder Cartridge Rifle (BPCR) but Results are erratic. On good days I shoot well but the Glaucoma has a secondary result of severe eye strain that shows up on bad days. I’m thankful though, with only 8% of my optic nerve alive in my right eye and 25% in the left I’m just happy I can still drive.

You mention the levergun. I was obsessed for several years. I think I had almost 30 at one point. Sold all but the turn of the century Marlins for a new obsession of Marlin Ballards (1875-1891). The old 1893s are quite a pice if craftsmanship. So were the Ballards. A group of us used to meet for a week and shoot old guns anywhere from 300-1,000 yds. I have some videos I’ll have to look up.

Blue Heeler

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry, now I see the rifle and eotech. Looks pretty good. Was it a chore to mount?

Found a video. We make a lot. Little hokey but this was the first year I went and boy did I do a lot of grinning.

Because my Scout has the rail, it was easy to mount. When I had a scope on it, I was using a Bassett mount which worked well too
Marlin1895 GSBL 2.JPG

Oh my ... 30 lever guns?!? That's amazing. I have two ... the Winchester 94 Trapper in 44 Mag and a Marlin 1895 GSBL that I have added a Wild West trigger and Skinner sights. Thinking about getting another possibly in 45 Colt.

Latest posts

Top Bottom