DIY euro skull wall hanger

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am very pleased with them. Small shop with friendly people. He met me at his shop after he got out of church on a Sunday morning when I killed my gun buck. And again on Thanksgiving morning when my daughter killed her buck. I hunt north of Reydon outside of Durham. My partner and I bought a half section in 2001 when land was cheap out there. Heading there this weekend to hunt hogs and coyotes and get out to the city.

Your out a little further, I hunt around the Cordell area. I've been lucky and have some distant cousins that own quite a bit of property in that area. They have numerous places to hunt but I stick with one 80 acre spot that always has deer....try not to push my luck and get in on their "good" spots.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve been doing my own euro mounts for about 25 years.

I assume, then, that you are cleaning your own? Care to share your recipe/process? I ask because I had an individual finish cleaning a bison skull for me (long story), and I got the details of his process. I bought some chemicals and started on some skulls, but never followed through to fruition.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started out just boiling and scraping, and scraping, and scraping, because I didn’t know any better. I got my first shoulder mount done in 1994 and became friends with the taxidermist. He coached me on doing euros.

I skin the skull and cut off as much excess meat as I can, and I boil it in sol soda (can be ordered off any taxidermy website). I can’t really say how long to boil, but you don’t want to over cook. Most of the meat and fat will fall off while boiling, but I still have to do a little scraping to clean off anything still hanging on. I use the cheapest peroxide I can find to whiten the skull but am really careful not to get it on the antlers.
Mine aren’t as white as most professionally done skulls, because they’re using a stronger peroxide. They look good enough for me though.:anyone:

I’ve said this before and want to stress the point again. DO NOT BOIL A SKULL IN YOUR HOUSE.:blush:

Here’s a few of my skulls.

Attachments

• 9128F2D4-2B8D-447E-A008-9E923FFE1ED3.jpeg
    9128F2D4-2B8D-447E-A008-9E923FFE1ED3.jpeg
    128.1 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:

Gary@CCWsafe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And thats why I started letting someone else do it. You have more patience than me.

I started out just boiling and scraping, and scraping, and scraping, because I didn’t know any better. I got my first shoulder mount done in 1994 and became friends with the taxidermist. He coached me on doing euros.

I skin the skull and cut off as much excess meat as I can, and I boil it in sol soda (can be ordered off any taxidermy website). I can’t really say how long to boil, but you don’t want to over cook. Most of the meat and fat will fall off while boiling, but I still have to do a little scraping to clean off anything still hanging on. I use the cheapest peroxide I can find to whiten the skull but am really careful not to get it on the antlers.
Mine aren’t as white as most professionally done skulls, because they’re using a stronger peroxide. They look good enough for me though.:anyone:

I’ve said this before and want to stress the point again. DO NOT BOIL A SKULL IN YOUR HOUSE.:blush:

Here’s a few of my skulls.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just cut all the meat hair and everything else off then boil the rest off then put it in a tub with water and bleach I wrap the bases up the main beam with electrical tape then coat with vaseline then just check it every day don’t put too much bleach or it will eat the skull up

Gary@CCWsafe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just drop it off at the butcher and say call me when its done.

I just cut all the meat hair and everything else off then boil the rest off then put it in a tub with water and bleach I wrap the bases up the main beam with electrical tape then coat with vaseline then just check it every day don’t put too much bleach or it will eat the skull up

Latest posts

Top Bottom