DIY refinishing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CSeverns

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I‘ve been looking into some DIY refinishing options for a 20 year old SA 1911-A1 that I’ve modified a little (aftermarket trigger, installed flat MSH, full length guide rod, and fitted a beavertail). I’m looking into refinishing the gun myself mostly because of the cost. I’ve tried cold bluing and didn’t really get the results I wanted, plus it didn’t hold up too well over time and I was constantly having to touch it up.

So have any of you guys had better luck with any of the other DIY methods of refinishing like Dura-coat, moly-resin, or brownells Aluma hide? I’ve looked into rust bluing but that seems a little daunting, not to mention, time-consuming. This isn’t exactly a high end pistol but it’s also not some knock around truck gun either. I’m just looking for something close to matte black with maybe a clear coat to protect it. I’m open to all suggestions…

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I used Gun-Kote from either midway or Brownells. It’s one of the baked on finishes. I did the slide on an M&P that had been put in a case that had a drop of water in it or something. It held up pretty well.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rust bluing is the best thing you can do. It's not nearly as hard as it seems, and small parts on a pistol are a cinch. I've done a bunch of it, and the hardest part is getting the parts to rust properly. I have tricks for this, if you are going to do it, PM me and I'd be happy to share what I've learned.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I‘ve been looking into some DIY refinishing options for a 20 year old SA 1911-A1 that I’ve modified a little (aftermarket trigger, installed flat MSH, full length guide rod, and fitted a beavertail). I’m looking into refinishing the gun myself mostly because of the cost. I’ve tried cold bluing and didn’t really get the results I wanted, plus it didn’t hold up too well over time and I was constantly having to touch it up.

So have any of you guys had better luck with any of the other DIY methods of refinishing like Dura-coat, moly-resin, or brownells Aluma hide? I’ve looked into rust bluing but that seems a little daunting, not to mention, time-consuming. This isn’t exactly a high end pistol but it’s also not some knock around truck gun either. I’m just looking for something close to matte black with maybe a clear coat to protect it. I’m open to all suggestions…

If you want to learn bluing and have multiple options, I highly recommend getting a copy of this book. It can usually be found on eBay for around $20-$35 for a reference copy.

https://www.okshooters.com/threads/...nlap-1950-warning-50-full-size-photos.345034/

This one also has a lot of old school bluing recipes and can also be found on eBay in the $20-$40 price range.

https://www.okshooters.com/threads/...-gunsmithing-revised-by-john-traister.345351/

Cdubya

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have had really good results with duracoat and an air brush.
I like how thin the material is.
Their combat black provides a good uniform matte black finish.
They do have a clear coat but IMO it's a bit trickier to get a uniform finish as your stroke of the gun seems to affect the finish if you aren't consistent.
A little goes a long way.

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rust bluing is the best thing you can do. It's not nearly as hard as it seems, and small parts on a pistol are a cinch. I've done a bunch of it, and the hardest part is getting the parts to rust properly. I have tricks for this, if you are going to do it, PM me and I'd be happy to share what I've learned.
I second this. Rust blue really isn't difficult. Just pay attention to what you're doing and it will turn out nicely.

Latest posts

Top Bottom