This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old_Red

Marksman
Reaction score
If your in Stillwater Oklahoma you might want to talk to Dennis Feken. Everything he has done for me was quick reasonable and great. I think he live at Mullhall, you can contact him through Cammo Corner out west of town. He may not be the guy for you but he can give names of several that are. I think his thing is hand made falling block rifles.

I would look a Remage barrel as you can change and head space the barrel yourself. If just going to hunt with and shoot commercial ammo the 1,000 - 1,500 round barrel life should be a life time, but if you are are into long range or ultra long range shooting matches a new barrel ever other year is common.

With the the government is printing money three grand seems like its only half as much as was a few years ago out past 600 yards near dawn and twilight the quality of scope adds time to your hunt when the game is most active. I would probably a Leupold 3 x 18 x and Red Dot zeroed at 180-200 yards.

Before I bought a barrel I would call Hornady and Burgrer and ask if 1 in 10 was enough twist for the new 30 caliber bullets their making and were they likely to bring out bullet that needed tighter twist in the next year or two.

Settle on gunsmith before you start buying parts. He gets a bigger discount than you do and will have some things you need a lower cost with no shipping in stock.

Good Luck