This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OSUcowboy2685

New to the site!
Reaction score
Scoping out a rifle construction project targeted around a Remington 700 LA 300 Win. Mag. design w/ the following parts assembly:
  • Magpul Hunter 700L Stock
  • Magpul Bolt Action Magwell 700L Magnum + Front & Rear SS Trigger Screws
  • Remington 700 Long Action Magnum Receiver & Action
  • Badger Ordnance Tactical Bolt Knob + M700 Maximized SS Recoil Lug
  • Timney 2-Stage Remington 700 Trigger
  • Leupold Backcountry Cross-Slot Remington 700 LA 1-PC 20 MOA Picatinny base w/ Backcountry Cross-Slot 30mm High Rings
  • Swarovski Optic Z8i 2-16x50 P L Rifle Scope
  • .300 Cal bare Match Grade Rifle Barrel w/ 1-10 Twist
My plan is to purchase the parts assembly followed by hiring a gunsmith to machine the barrel to the action along with fabricating a muzzle break while adding additional fluting to the barrel. I'd also like for the action to be blueprinted and the OEM bolt handle knob to be shaved down and threaded for the tatical bolt knob cited above.

I'd like to send the stock itself to Utah Hydrographics to have it dipped in First Lite Cipher, but the rest of the cerakoting work can be executed locally.

Who would be some good gunsmith contacts to perform such work?

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Jon Beanland, he's in Gould OK. You won't find one of his builds that's not a shooter. He's a one man shop that has a huge following. Therefore contact by phone may take awhile due to work load. Who ever you end up using I suggest going over your build with them and do a little background check on them before committing any funds.
http://beanlandrifles.com/

You can also find many builders from this list.
https://www.okshooters.com/threads/custom-gun-plumbers.227752/

cdexter87

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Idk if he still in business. But John Acton in Muldrow.
edeae91508ecfbd840ac61a290f7fab1.jpg
c8aefc0a9d78b23000eb190a1389deb4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
Welcome to the board. Now, your build....I'm getting such a mixed message from it. There are some great parts there and there are some not so great ones. Honestly, what you're building, you can buy for less. Just get a Sendero and shoot it. It already has a better stock than the Magpul (I'm not knocking them btw, I own 3), the barrels are already fluted and they typically shoot great. Much more reasonably priced and you'll have money left over for a brake.

Attachments

• upload_2020-5-30_8-55-52.png
    upload_2020-5-30_8-55-52.png
    91.6 KB · Views: 135

k4ylr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Welcome to the board. Now, your build....I'm getting such a mixed message from it. There are some great parts there and there are some not so great ones. Honestly, what you're building, you can buy for less. Just get a Sendero and shoot it. It already has a better stock than the Magpul (I'm not knocking them btw, I own 3), the barrels are already fluted and they typically shoot great. Much more reasonably priced and you'll have money left over for a brake.

Yea this is a really confused parts list and the budget is being spent on some odd choices.

First and foremost if you have the budget for a $3,000 on an optic...there is less than 0 reasons to buy anything freedom group ever. Buy a better custom action from Defiance, Ultimatum, American Rifle Company, Bighorn/Zermatt. If you want to hunt, drop it in a lightweight chassis/stock. If it's a PRS/ELR gun, drop it something beefy and add more weight.

Have a barrel spun up from somebody reputable, gunsmith fit if that's your jam but prefits have come a long way in recent years. My favorite pre-fitters are from NSS, X-caliber and Preferred. My 6GT, .308 and 6.5creedmoor are all tack drivers.

Also 300PRC > 300WM if you really want a LA magnum. Belts are for pants, not bullets.

OSUcowboy2685

New to the site!
Reaction score
Thank you all for the the previous responses to the thread, and I'm happy to be apart of the OSA.

After visiting with some friends that are adversely more experienced in bolt action rifle builds than myself, they identified the potential flaws in the previously posted DIY Rifle Build design.

I think I'm going to roll with the revised BOM moving forward:
  • Defiance anTi RH LA w/ Mil Spec 1913 20 MOA Scope Mount
  • TriggerTech Rem 700 Diamond Trigger
  • Proof Research 22" carbon-fiber-wrapped barrel (107461) w/ 1-10 twist, 2.5" breach length, 1.20" shank dia., Sendero Light contour
  • MCS-EH1A Elite Hunter
  • PTG Remington 700 LA Oberndorf Bottom Metal
  • Silencerco Omega 300 silencer
I should have roughly $4,377 in parts and the gun should roughly weigh around 8.275 LB. The plan is to build a 300 PRC out of it. Of course, it'll take me a awhile to get all the parts gathered up, but should make for a fun mountain rifle come next fall.

Is there anyone within Oklahoma that has the licensing to hydro dip stocks in First Lite camo patterns? I know FL partnered with Utah Hydrographics, and if worse comes to worst, I'll send it out west to be dipped after bedding the stock w/ epoxy.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you all for the the previous responses to the thread, and I'm happy to be apart of the OSA.

After visiting with some friends that are adversely more experienced in bolt action rifle builds than myself, they identified the potential flaws in the previously posted DIY Rifle Build design.

I think I'm going to roll with the revised BOM moving forward:
  • Defiance anTi RH LA w/ Mil Spec 1913 20 MOA Scope Mount
  • TriggerTech Rem 700 Diamond Trigger
  • Proof Research 22" carbon-fiber-wrapped barrel (107461) w/ 1-10 twist, 2.5" breach length, 1.20" shank dia., Sendero Light contour
  • MCS-EH1A Elite Hunter
  • PTG Remington 700 LA Oberndorf Bottom Metal
  • Silencerco Omega 300 silencer
I should have roughly $4,377 in parts and the gun should roughly weigh around 8.275 LB. The plan is to build a 300 PRC out of it. Of course, it'll take me a awhile to get all the parts gathered up, but should make for a fun mountain rifle come next fall.

Is there anyone within Oklahoma that has the licensing to hydro dip stocks in First Lite camo patterns? I know FL partnered with Utah Hydrographics, and if worse comes to worst, I'll send it out west to be dipped after bedding the stock w/ epoxy.

Are you by chance LE or former/active military? If so, I can point you towards a few discounts on your build. Also, I believe Bartlein Barrels is making carbon wrapped barrels now. I’m unsure of their calibers

You might want to think twice about anything from PTG. I would run with a MCS Manners Mini Chassis in DBM or hinged floor plate depending on preference. Tom Manners has excellent customer service, PTG couldn’t give two s*^t’s about you

Last edited:

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OP, I don't know what prices you've seen for the Proof barrel but it can be purchased for less than $600. I think MSRP is $830.

Looks like you're trying to build a light(er) weight rifle for elk, possibly sheep? You can shave a few ounces with a titanium action. You'll really like your stock with the KMW Terri Cross cheek hardware. I like mine although it's the MCS-T3 stock.

What bullet are you going to have the barrel throated for? Maybe Hornady's 212gr ELD-X?