DIY Skips Annealing Machine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
Over this past weekend I put together my annealing machine. I made the same one everyone has online, a version of skips annealing machine.
Here is the parts list:

1PC CNC SK8 8mm Step Motor Linear Rail Shaft Guide Support Bracket Bearing Set
$1.52
1PCS 12mm SK12 Linear Rail Shaft Guide Support Bracket/Bearing CNC Step Motor
$1.99
DozyAnt 4 Feet Propane Distribution Tree Extension Hose Assembly 1"x20 Female
$13.59
Cake Pan Round 5 x 2 Inches by Fat Daddio's
$7.99
NEW Great Planes Set Screw Prop Adapter 8.0mm to 3/8x24 GPMQ4945
$6.99 X2=$13.98
High Torque 12V DC 25 RPM Gear-Box Stabilivolt Electric Motor Replacement
$9.59 X2= $19.18
DC 6-30V 12V 24V MAX 8A Motor PWM Speed Controller With Digital Display Switch R
$4.47 X2= $8.94
1" x 2" x 12" Long x 1/8" Thick 6063 T52 Aluminum Angle-->1" x 2" x 1/8" Angle
$9.39
BernzOmatic Basic Use Brass Pencil Flame Propane Torch Head - UL 2317
$12.50
Hillman 3-ft x 1/4-in Plated Steel Metal Round
$3.35
Numerous small bolts, washers, and nuts to put it all together, from Lowes.
$8
Total cost: $100 give or take a few dollars.

I had an old computer tower with a power supply to use as the body and the power supply to power the unit. I had a piece of 5/8 plywood I used for the auto feeder drum and auto feeder back plate.

Resized952018013195182213.jpg

Last edited:

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I really like how simplistic the design is. Somewhere I have plans saved where I was planning on making one of these, but I really like the addition of a proximity sensor to control the feeder motor so you don't have to time the two motors and only have to change the drum speed depending on your brass...

Looks good man!

Pokinfun

Special Hen
Reaction score
I really like how simplistic the design is. Somewhere I have plans saved where I was planning on making one of these, but I really like the addition of a proximity sensor to control the feeder motor so you don't have to time the two motors and only have to change the drum speed depending on your brass...

Looks good man!

Thanks, I was playing with the speed of the drums, I just reduced the speed of the feeder by 3 and it seems to work fine.
Never mind the machine, lets discuss the 55 gal. of Hooch...
That is high quality tart cherry wine. I started it a couple of weeks ago. in about a year I will be able to drink it. I also have 6 gallons of lemon wine sitting next to it. My wife is down with the flu, so I am waiting until she has been over it for 72 hours before I take off the airlocks and bottle it.

Pokinfun

Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife won't let me put the carboy in the room with the reloading bench. Says is 'sets the wrong precedence'.
So I put a couple gallons on the kitchen counter instead.
One day you'll have to share what went into them???
Skeeter Pee Recipe
http://skeeterpee.com/recipe
for the cherry wine, I used Vintner's Harvest
Cherry
fruit base. I followed the recipe on the can, with Lalvin EC-1118 Yeast.

I'm going to start 5 gallons of white wine this weekend.

Pokinfun

Special Hen
Reaction score
alright, you lit a fire under me. I've been wanting one for a while now. Ordered most of the parts to build it, the other 2 I didn't order, I can pick up at Lowes. Going to build one of these first, then the induction annealer as well. The only down side is it may take about a month for all the parts to show up.
it took about a month to get all of the parts in from China. I would have built it last summer, but I kept debating the induction annealer. I could not figure out an easy way to time the heat cycle.

Pokinfun

Special Hen
Reaction score

Pokinfun

Special Hen
Reaction score
I actually used my annealing machine today. A couple of feed issues that were easily corrected, it worked fine. I used 475 degree tempilaq 1/4 down the case to set the timer.
It is 5 gallons of white wine and 1 gallon of apple wine in the glass carboys behind the annealer.

Resized952018040395194734.jpg
Resized952018040395194739.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom