DIY wet tumbler

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtnboomer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Midwest City (usually)/Eufaula (when possible)

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have you totaled up how much this cost you to make??

I've priced out this same setup but haven't had time to build one yet.

Building the frame out of stuff laying around (wood/steel) and buying the motor, bearings, etc. new from Grainger I came out at a little over $100. Probably $150 total or less and probably less.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have made 2 wet tumblers ..one from a coppier machine i found in the trash..
The other from a treadmill someone tossed out..I used the rollers and it had a DC motor..
My container is the 2 quart V8 tomato drink bottle...
The wood frame is not ....I used an old file cabinet for my frame and just drilled and poked the metal rods through the holes.
But my rods do not spin as it is a roller like on a conveyor. 2 of them..
Total investment for the 2 is less than 3 bucks

mtnboomer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Midwest City (usually)/Eufaula (when possible)
The motor is a 1/3 hp belt-driven blower fan motor I got new off Ebay for about $70.00.
The pillow block bearings were about $6.50 apiece. http://www.thebigbearingstore.com/index.html
The 1 1/2" and 5" pulleys were $18.00 and change. http://www.electricmotorwarehouse.com/pulley/pulley_sheave_menu.htm
The 1/2" round rods, nuts, bolt and misc. hardware were from the local hadware store - about $20 to $25.
The 6" and 1 1/4" PVC pipe (both precut to 24"), cap, 6" to 4" reducer and rubber cap were from Home Depot - about $40.
The stainless steel pins were just under $7.00 per pound - I have 10#. http://bestbyte.net/merchant/mercha...e=ACMIPL0471&Category_Code=ACMI&Store_Code=BB
The unistrut and 3/4" plywood was scrap off a job (I'm an electrictian).
The 2 x 4s were left over from an older project.

The tumbler barrel is 17 1/2" long and holds just over 2 gallons of water. I use 10# of pins, 10# of deprimed brass, a gallon of water, a big squirt of Dawn dishwashing liquid and a tablespoon of Lemi-Shine. Tumble for 2 hours and you have brass that looks brand new!

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If another member wants to try this I'm pretty sure I've got a used motor and a length of 6" pipe I'd donate to them. That should make the project quite a bit cheaper. My only requirement is that the person who gets it post pictures of their finished tumbler

---Tulsa pickup---

Latest posts

Top Bottom