DIY wet tumbler

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtnboomer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Midwest City (usually)/Eufaula (when possible)
Since this popped up, where did you get the belt and what size is it?
Thanks.

The drive belt on mine is a 1/2"x26" v-belt. Now remember, this size works on mine, but yours may be different due to differences in structural dimensions. Another belt (I don't recall if it's in the pictures) is the rubber belt between the roller bars to make sure the rollers turn correctly. It's a belt for an Oreck XL vacuum cleaner!

Droff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It may sound odd to everyone else but that's the only piece I'm concerned about getting a hold of, as the size would be an unknown until you get everything laid out (depending on parts acquired).
Some parts info.... I picked up a piece of 6" PVC, a riser for sewer pipe at HD, 2' long for about $8-$9. Ordered the 6" cap, the 6" to 4" reducer and the 4" rubber cap online from HD as well, total $19 with tax.
I've already got a piece of 1-1/2" (maybe 2") for the agitators, laying around the garage.
I'm only seeing the motor in the $76-$82 range, depending on site.

mtnboomer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It may sound odd to everyone else but that's the only piece I'm concerned about getting a hold of, as the size would be an unknown until you get everything laid out (depending on parts acquired).
Some parts info.... I picked up a piece of 6" PVC, a riser for sewer pipe at HD, 2' long for about $8-$9. Ordered the 6" cap, the 6" to 4" reducer and the 4" rubber cap online from HD as well, total $19 with tax.
I've already got a piece of 1-1/2" (maybe 2") for the agitators, laying around the garage.
I'm only seeing the motor in the $76-$82 range, depending on site.

It took me a couple of tries to get the belt size right so that it would tension correctly. That's why my motor is set on unistrut with spring nut so it will slide to tension the belt. I got my belt at a local hardware store and simply took it back and exchanged it for another size when needed. Most hardware and auto parts stores will happily exchange a belt when you tell them it's a project build.

mtnboomer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
BTW, here is a link to a page to calculate the rpms of your tumbler and to size the pulleys to get the correct rpms. Most tumblers run between 35 and 40 rpms. I know that sounds slow when you consider the motor shaft speed is 1725 rpms, but it's actually very simple. You have to calculate each segment separately to get things right - I used a 1 1/2" pulley on the shaft (the smallest that can be used), then through calculation I determined a 5" pulley gave me the proper drive roller rpms, which in turn gave me the proper barrel rpms (6" barrel).

http://culvermotor.com/Engineering-Formulas/Pulley-and-RPM-Calculator.html

RichJacot

New to the site!
Reaction score
I'm building a wet tumbler and I have everything I need except the large pulley. I've used http://www.culvermotor.com/Engineering-Formulas/Pulley-and-RPM-Calculator.html and I come up with the below.

1725 -- 2 -- 7 = 492.86
492.86 -- 1 -- 6.75 = 73.02

1725 rpm motor with 2" pulley
6" PVC which is 6.75" on the outside of the cap and reducer.
3/4" shaft for one side and 1/2" shaft for the other (because that's what pillow blocks I had on hand).
With the heater hose on the 3/4" shaft it's 1" OD (I'd like to drive from the 3/4" shaft).

Now to get down to the 70 rpm range it "appears" that I have to use a 7" pulley on the 3/4" shaft. This seems to be much larger than others have been using.

Can anyone confirm that I need a 7" pulley or show me the error of my ways?

Thanks!

Latest posts

Top Bottom