Do It Yourself Gun Wipes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
All right, I'll admit I'm cheap. But I get sick and tired for paying $5 and $6 for a Silicone cotton / flannel gun wipe cloth. I go through these things pretty quick. It doesn't take long before they wear, then they transfer a lot of lint on to your gun. Especially on any matte finished surfaces.

So I went to a fabric store and bought 2 yards of cotton flannel quilting fabric for just $2.49 @ yard. (I bought natural color. But you can get it in any color you like). I took a pair of pinking shears and cut it into 18" square sheets. I then spray them with silicone, (or you can use your favorite gun oil or rust preventive), fold them up and put them into 6" heavy duty zip lock storage bags. You'll end up with over 20 of them for what you will pay for one from Hoppe's or Outers. And they are of better quality.

You can keep several of them at home, in your range bag, on your reloading bench, or even in the pockets of your gun cases. Then you will never be without a way to wipe down your gun. And you won't be ripped off overpaying for those crappy one's they sell at the gun shop.

https://www.joann.com/cozy-flannel-...v2=Whites&icn=hpz1ba&ici=cozy-flannel&start=1

https://www.walmart.com/ip/6-x-6-4-Mil-Heavy-Duty-Plastic-Reclosable-Zipper-Bags/107397076

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is one of those simple ideas that is so good it makes you say to yourself: “Man, why didn’t I think of that?”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sedona

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hate the grey hoppes cloth that leaves lint on your gun.After awhile the yellow cloths will shed parts of it on your gun.Pro shot has pretty good cloths that don't come apart as bad as the hoppes.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a few microfiber towels from the Automotive section at Walmart...they're like $3 for 6 of them and sprayed with my oil of choice (Slip 2000 EWL). No lint and I keep a few in ziploc baggies like you do. I have microfiber detergent also for throwing them in the wash every now and then.

dancer4life

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a few microfiber towels from the Automotive section at Walmart...they're like $3 for 6 of them and sprayed with my oil of choice (Slip 2000 EWL). No lint and I keep a few in ziploc baggies like you do. I have microfiber detergent also for throwing them in the wash every now and then.
Great idea, thanks!

billt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I should add that if you buy the material from a fabric store like the one I linked, they will cut the material for you into any size squares you want. That saves you from buying pinking shears if you don't have them. Plus they have huge fabric tables to lay the material out on, and can cut it nice and straight quickly.

billt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
One other thing I have started doing that helps A LOT, is after cleaning, oiling, and wiping down, I allow the gun to sit for 48 hours with the muzzle down over a paper towel. (You can place it into a gun case with a piece of paper towel wrapped around the muzzle to prevent anything from soaking into the case itself). Then lean it against a corner of the room.

This allows any and all excess oil, solvent, and liquid to drain down out of the action, through the barrel into the paper towel. You'll be surprised at how much runs out. This prevents this excess liquid and lubricant from running into the action and soaking into the wood surrounding it. I even do it with AR's and other synthetic stocked weapons. Then after 48 hours, store the weapon normally. You can do much the same with handguns by making a stand with a piece of dowel rod glued or screwed into a flat piece of wood. (Any scrap piece of 2 X 4 will work well).

billt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I just cut up 4 yards of cotton flannel material I bought yesterday for $13.00. It yielded a total of 45 one foot square wiping cloths. I have 36 heavy duty 8 mil zip lock bags coming next week, so I can individually treat and package them. 45 treated gun wiping cloths at $5.50 each would run $247.50. These will most likely last longer than I will.

I'll treat them with different oils and rust preventatives. Then mark them on the bags. You can put motor oil in a trigger spray bottle to apply it. It works pretty well. Then allow them to soak it up for a few minutes. Then fold and package them, and you're good to go.

Latest posts

Top Bottom