Do Not try this at home!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why is it that when someone says, "Don't try this at home!", it's the first darned thing I wanna try??!!

"But honest, occifer…….I did just get passed by 2 rabbits pedal'n bikes!"

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For those of you who've never ridden a fixed gear bicycle...the rear cog screws onto the rear hub with right hand threads, and is held in place by a lock ring that has left hand threads (track hubs have two sets of threads, one smaller than the other, one right hand threaded and one left hand threaded). Fixed gear bicycles are direct drive--if the cranks are turning the rear wheel is also turning, and vice-versa. There is no possible way to "coast" on a fixed gear. The only way to stop pedaling--and this takes tremendous leg strength--is to stomp on the pedals hard enough to cause the rear wheel to skid. It takes not only great leg strength but tremendous coordination to throw those bikes into a skid like the guys in the video. Watch closely--if they are not pedaling, they are skidding. The bike handling skills shown are nothing short of amazing.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For those of you who've never ridden a fixed gear bicycle...the rear cog screws onto the rear hub with right hand threads, and is held in place by a lock ring that has left hand threads (track hubs have two sets of threads, one smaller than the other, one right hand threaded and one left hand threaded). Fixed gear bicycles are direct drive--if the cranks are turning the rear wheel is also turning, and vice-versa. There is no possible way to "coast" on a fixed gear. The only way to stop pedaling--and this takes tremendous leg strength--is to stomp on the pedals hard enough to cause the rear wheel to skid. It takes not only great leg strength but tremendous coordination to throw those bikes into a skid like the guys in the video. Watch closely--if they are not pedaling, they are skidding. The bike handling skills shown are nothing short of amazing.
Not like the bendix brakes of old.
Edit: Since I heard bicycle seats can render a man impotent I've never ridden one. Is this the reason for the spandex tights?

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not like the bendix brakes of old.
Edit: Since I heard bicycle seats can render a man impotent I've never ridden one. Is this the reason for the spandex tights?
The Bendix brake was a "coaster brake". You could pedal, you could not pedal (coast), and you pushed back on the pedals to stop. (FWIW, the coaster brake was invented because fixed gear bikes were too hard for some to ride.) On a fixed gear bike, there is no coasting possible. Spandex shorts are padded in the crotch, are designed to absorb moisture, and help prevent chafing. Bicycles are still widely used for everyday transportation in the Third World with no obvious effect on the birth rate.:D

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom