Do Not try this at home!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The guy on the motorcycle getting passed in that corner should just sell his motorcycle out of shame.

The guy on the bike here needs to not be allowed to ride a bike in public again (I'd say the same of a motorcyclist or car driver crossing over the line into oncoming traffic like that)

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I was a kid, New Departure was the way to go. I still remember taking the thing apart and the discs. A few years back I had a bicycle up to 40 MPH and got to thinking, "What if the front wheel collapsed?" I slowed down-i don't like pain.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Bendix brake was a "coaster brake". You could pedal, you could not pedal (coast), and you pushed back on the pedals to stop. (FWIW, the coaster brake was invented because fixed gear bikes were too hard for some to ride.) On a fixed gear bike, there is no coasting possible. Spandex shorts are padded in the crotch, are designed to absorb moisture, and help prevent chafing. Bicycles are still widely used for everyday transportation in the Third World with no obvious effect on the birth rate.:D

Third world bike riders usually employ the bicycle for daily work commute over relatively short rarely engaging in the long distance "health or amusement" riding that many Americans engage in which keeps Americans in the saddle for much longer periods of time. I would not be surprised to see significant differences caused by how Americans tend to recreationally ride versus other kinds of bike riding.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Third world bike riders usually employ the bicycle for daily work commute over relatively short rarely engaging in the long distance "health or amusement" riding that many Americans engage in which keeps Americans in the saddle for much longer periods of time. I would not be surprised to see significant differences caused by how Americans tend to recreationally ride versus other kinds of bike riding.
I wonder how effective the "split" saddles with the groove down the middle are in preventing the problem. The idea is not even remotely a new one; the McClellan saddle, adopted as the official U.S. Cavalry saddle in 1859, features a similar groove (though obviously much larger, and no doubt more effective), and it was based on saddles McClellan had observed in Europe. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McClellan_saddle

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The impotency issue is way overblown. I know many serious cyclists who are fathers, myself included.

Latest posts

Top Bottom