Do outboards have any give if you hit a stump?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last year, I hit a submerged stump going probably 15-20mph and it did not break my trim system. I have since learned about breakaway jack plates and just wondered if the stock mercury trim on a newer outboard had any engineering to allow for some give in those situations? I can't recall but it seems like I had to trim back down, so maybe it did lift the motor from the impact. I was VERY impressed with the motor and the boat because you would have thought it was major damage based on the sound and feeling in the boat. It bent the skeg slightly but it was easy to straighten up.

Last edited:

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some years ago I hit a submerged rock going probably 20 mph, and the transom-mounted Johnson outboard popped up so high and so hard the top cover cracked on the deck in front of the motor. It ran roughly after that, but got me back to the boat ramp in limp mode. Cost several hundred bucks to replace the cover, prop, and IIRC the prop shaft.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Last year, I hit a submerged stump going probably 15-20mph and it did not break my trim system. I have since learned about breakaway jack plates and just wondered if the stock mercury trim on a newer outboard had any engineering to allow for some give in those situations? I can't recall but it seems like I hat to trim back down so maybe it did lift the motor? I was VERY impressed with the motor and the boat because you would have thought it was major damage based on the sound and feeling in the boat. It bent the skeg slightly but it was easy to straighten up.
What hp?

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As a sideline comment. We have a 07 150 EFI Merc and found out that the prop is coupled to the output shaft via a sacrificial plastic coupler. You might check and see if it got cracked. Found out ours was damaged when a numb nuts buddy of mine was driving and thought he would slam it in reverse while going full tilt across the lake. Lucky the gearbox was not completely trash canned

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a sideline comment. We have a 07 150 EFI Merc and found out that the prop is coupled to the output shaft via a sacrificial plastic coupler. You might check and see if it got cracked. Found out ours was damaged when a numb nuts buddy of mine was driving and thought he would slam it in reverse while going full tilt across the lake. Lucky the gearbox was not completely trash canned
The hub that gives away is usually found on the SS props for the higher hp motors like yours. His 50 hp probably has an aluminum prop, but is worth checking. I pull my prop to look for old fishing line at least once a year.

harley128

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That would be the last time numb nuts drove my boat!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom