Do outboards have any give if you hit a stump?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a sideline comment. We have a 07 150 EFI Merc and found out that the prop is coupled to the output shaft via a sacrificial plastic coupler. You might check and see if it got cracked. Found out ours was damaged when a numb nuts buddy of mine was driving and thought he would slam it in reverse while going full tilt across the lake. Lucky the gearbox was not completely trash canned
Years ago, I read Orr Kelly's book Brave Men, Dark Waters about the SEALs, and one of the boats they used in Vietnam could go from (IIRC) 60kts to full stop in two boat lengths. Maybe your buddy read the same book...

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That would be the last time numb nuts drove my boat!!

Not only the last time to drive but the very last time to even get to sit in the thing

Years ago, I read Orr Kelly's book Brave Men, Dark Waters about the SEALs, and one of the boats they used in Vietnam could go from (IIRC) 60kts to full stop in two boat lengths. Maybe your buddy read the same book...

Ha! When I asked him why he would do such a thing I was told that he did it all the time in a SEADOO jet boat. my reply? This isn't a jet boat

Last edited:

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As a sideline comment. We have a 07 150 EFI Merc and found out that the prop is coupled to the output shaft via a sacrificial plastic coupler. You might check and see if it got cracked. Found out ours was damaged when a numb nuts buddy of mine was driving and thought he would slam it in reverse while going full tilt across the lake. Lucky the gearbox was not completely trash canned

Yeah, my larger boat has this type of hub too...it is a great idea. both boats have aluminum props but I have not checked if the 50hp has the plastic "safety" hub. But you bring up a good point because I have been wanting to change to stainless to get more mph, but I was worried about the drive shaft if I hit something and an aluminum prop is already cheaper & sacrificial by itself without a hub. If I knew for sure that a stainless prop for the 50hp had this safety hub, then would there be any reason NOT to upgrade?

So long as you don't have the motor locked in the down position, yes. I never lock my motor in the down position.

How do you do that and why would you do that? There is some sort of lock bolt with a handle on the motor that I assumed was to lock it in the up position but I never messed with it?

The hub that gives away is usually found on the SS props for the higher hp motors like yours. His 50 hp probably has an aluminum prop, but is worth checking. I pull my prop to look for old fishing line at least once a year.

Yes, I need to check, but it is still hitting the same mph so I would imagine if the hub broke then it would struggle.

Last edited:

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From what I've seen, it depends on how much weight the motor is pushing. If you're pushing a lot of weight for the HP rating, the motor can lift some, especially when making a turn, killing speed and momentum. Locking it down would prevent this but also incurs additional damage if you hit something. This is just what I've experienced on my 25hp mercury outboard.

You can lift a motor almost completely perpendicular to the boat and lock it there. That's likely the notch you described.

Latest posts

Top Bottom