Do teachers "really" have it that bad???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooljeff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nope, jeff has a huge heart and a charitable streak as we have seen on the forum over and over. Never ceases to amaze me the hearts you see when you deal with teachers day in and day out. Opinions may vary on pay, but the fact remains that teachers are the foundation of growth and development for our youth. I'm retired and do hang out in my pool and wave at the kids as they go off to school and the wife as she heads to wherever wifes go. a bunch of teachers and professors made it possible for me to have that luxury by instilling what I needed to know, how I needed to conduct myself in school and creating realistic expectations for me. Thanks for that.
Thank you sir. I truly appreciate that and I know you have worked hard to earn that retirement you so richly deserve. I do this because I love it... I never expected to get paid much, I don't know and I never will. To be honest I voted against the last bill to raise taxes to give teachers a raise. I had a lot of teacher friends mad at me, but I know everyone else works hard for their money also and I'm not special and deserve a raise more than any other. Just my humble opinion...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

cooljeff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
you are a better man than me for doing sped.
Thank you sir. Not better than anyone, I just believe God gives us special gifts and talents and teaching special needs kids is mine. I have an undergraduate degree in criminal justice administration, I have worked for 2 different sheriff's offices and they both had one thing in common. They were both almost 2 years of misery because I wasn't doing what God called me to do. When I finally conceded to God and followed his will for my life, I realized that the daily blessings I get from this job is far more than I give to it.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nope, jeff has a huge heart and a charitable streak as we have seen on the forum over and over. Never ceases to amaze me the hearts you see when you deal with teachers day in and day out. Opinions may vary on pay, but the fact remains that teachers are the foundation of growth and development for our youth. I'm retired and do hang out in my pool and wave at the kids as they go off to school and the wife as she heads to wherever wifes go. a bunch of teachers and professors made it possible for me to have that luxury by instilling what I needed to know, how I needed to conduct myself in school and creating realistic expectations for me. Thanks for that.
Over Christmas break I turned down a job making 75K a year. It had a 30 day vacation package. My future son in-law has a BA and makes 90K a year with a 30 day vacation package. I really think we should be making around 50K year topping out about 60K a year. I do not think anyone is saying we should make a comparable annual salary to someone with the same level of education, but we should get the low end of per month worked. Some of these folks think we should get minimum wage. The least they could do is give our step increases, which we are not getting.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Over Christmas break I turned down a job making 75K a year. It had a 30 day vacation package. My future son in-law has a BA and makes 90K a year with a 30 day vacation package. I really think we should be making around 50K year topping out about 60K a year. I do not think anyone is saying we should make a comparable annual salary to someone with the same level of education, but we should get the low end of per month worked. Some of these folks think we should get minimum wage. The least they could do is give our step increases, which we are not getting.

The entire fault of teacher pay rolls back to the Ok legislature thinking Horse Racing, the LOTTO, Oil, etc will take over teacher pay. Thats wrong, and they should correct it.
They got it all passed with glowing reports of how teacher pay is going to be top notch when it passes and it didn't.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The BLUFF : The powers that be know teachers are going to teach. They know teaching is a calling for so many and this fact in itself allows for this type of political deceit. Jeff, Pokinfun and many, many others are going to teach, period. The State is in the know on that fact and simply uses it to the States advantage. That might ruffle a few feathers, but I feel it is true.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The BLUFF : The powers that be know teachers are going to teach. They know teaching is a calling for so many and this fact in itself allows for this type of political deceit. Jeff, Pokinfun and many, many others are going to teach, period. The State is in the know on that fact and simply uses it to the States advantage. That might ruffle a few feathers, but I feel it is true.

The powers at be are majority Republican citizens and their elected majority Republican representatives, who do not value education enough to prioritize funding for teachers.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The powers at be are majority Republican citizens and their elected majority Republican representatives, who do not value education enough to prioritize funding for teachers
Point taken. I guess I am baffled at why we as parents would not want our children to have the best education possible. Regardless of political affiliation. I am going to do a bit of research to see if I cannot make myself a bit smarter on your point.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you sir. I truly appreciate that and I know you have worked hard to earn that retirement you so richly deserve. I do this because I love it... I never expected to get paid much, I don't know and I never will. To be honest I voted against the last bill to raise taxes to give teachers a raise. I had a lot of teacher friends mad at me, but I know everyone else works hard for their money also and I'm not special and deserve a raise more than any other. Just my humble opinion...

I think you made the right choice with your vote. I just wish you teachers would break out the torches and pitchforks and start demanding that the waste of school funding cease. It's been illustrated in this very thread. If it ceased you guys could be paid quite well. And thank you for what you do!

Latest posts

Top Bottom