Do tell ? Don't tell ? During sell

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wouldn't say nothing about a suicide....but I would tell them about how many injuns it killed at Custer's last stand before Billy the kid got ahold of it and traded it to a marine before he went to storm Normandy.

Technically speaking, a Marine who took such a firearm on trade from Billy the Kid would have been way too old, if he was still alive, to have landed at Normandy in 1944 ;)

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That depends on your ideology. Some people believe that our spirit will attach itself to objects (main cause of house hauntings). If you have no belief in that, I would keep mum as a potential buyer might.

IMO, since the gun didn't cause the death (i.e. bad design led to spontaneous discharge), I wouldn't disclose what the gun was used for.
Whether because of bad design or just bad luck, the gun was instrumental in the death of someone. Disclosing the 'history' of the gun would depend a whole lot on how quickly I wanted to get rid of it. ASAP = keep my mouth shut (because people can be a bit squirrely about things like that); or if in no hurry = telling what happened if the potential buyer asked about it.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always wonder about why it's supposed to be bad, for example, to buy a house if someone died in it. I doubt there's one square foot of ground on this green earth where someone didn't die, sometime. Someone was probably buried within the last several thousand years exactly where you're sitting right now. :rollingla
"Someone was probably buried within the last several thousand years exactly where you're sitting right now."

Thanks, that explains a lot about that stench that occasionally pervades the area I'm sitting in . . . kind of like something died! Funny - it always seems to get worse after I eat chili 🤔

Last edited:

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Technically speaking, a Marine who took such a firearm on trade from Billy the Kid would have been way too old, if he was still alive, to have landed at Normandy in 1944 ;)
Years ago somebody wrote in to one of the gun magazines with a photo of an old revolver they had, supposedly it was used by Jesse James.
The writers at the gun rag pointed out that the revolver had a patent date on it that was after the date of Jesse James' death.

I saw an SKS supposedly brought back from the Korean War (I listened and the owner said Korean War twice); I sure didn't know Century Arms was import marking SKS rifles way back then. 🤨

forindooruseonly

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a gun used in a suicide. On one hand, I would not tell because I don't want it sold for some ghoulish interest. There are people who collect suicide and crime guns, others who feel a thrill at the association of it. It just seems disrespectful to the dead and their family. It seems the people who learn of a suicide gun either shy away, in which case they wouldn't buy it, or figure it is just a tool, in which case it doesn't matter if they know or not, and finally, those would buy happy to buy one based on it's history, but I don't care to encourage someone's morbid curiosity.

On the other hand, I have friends who would react badly if they knew a suicide gun was in their house. What they don't know won't hurt them, but at the same time if I wouldn't feel great about selling them something that I know they would have an aversion to. Properties with stigmas are a real thing in certain places, requiring by law disclosure. I can understand someone being repulsed by it and to sell it to them without the disclosure also seems a bit underhanded and disrespectful to the potential buyer.

So I don't have an answer. Mine sits in the safe, I shoot it occasionally.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom