Do what you say you will do.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been in construction for 50 years, and things are only going to get worse. The real pro's are retiring and dying, guys that knew the work and had the ethic, they knew they would not get rich, but they could make a living. Somewhere along the way, kids lost all desire to work in the trades, and the quality of the workforce went straight downhill. Kids have to be taught how to work, and parents don't do that anymore. For every nightmare story home owners have, I promise every good contractor and sub have as many stories. But the quality of the customer has gone down just as much, the yuppies wanted more than they could afford, so because you were a dirty face working boy they thought you should take a pay cut so they could have a 600 dollar faucet instead of a 200 one. They don't respect you because they weren't brought up right. If you come across a guy that does do what he says, treat him with respect and pay him well, he's a pro, just like a guy that wears a tie.
Amen why i Quit.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did my first ever contracted house project last year, what a learning experience. I was fortunate I picked a Contractor I really liked, and he is a stand up guy. What I discovered out of this experience is that the Subs can be the challenge. In my case all of them threw trash on the ground when there are cans within tossing distance. They learned that they would clean up at my jobsite. The amount of waste is unbelievable, the answer is always get another piece, even though one the size needed is laying at your feet. And the Contractor grossly over buys to compensate for this. I managed to get about $2500 in saved and returned materials by managing the installs and pushing to return unused product. And there is little critical thinking, little perspective on "does this look OK?" more of a focus on getting it completed and leaving asap. Call backs don't seem to bother them to fix crappy work. The brick mason had to redo his work 3 times, not matching soldier course properly, and being lazy and using small brick pieces when filling in a door(pic attached). It seems the life of a Contractor is having your hair on fire everyday fighting all of the issues and complaints about the subs.

My guy wants to hire me when I retire, I told him I would do it, but he is going to have to change his MO, I don't do hair on fire...
not a real mason

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll name mine, Statewide out of Texas. We bought windows from them and were very satisfied.

We used them again and were very disappointed with the service. Granted it was right after Covid and all the other crap like Biden stealing the election and running the country into the ground. Subcontractors were more like, "let's go by the jail to see if we can get someone to work today."

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
The same can be said for helping friends and family.. I'm donating my time and skill to you. Don't just suddenly decide I'm going to do more that I originally agreed just because "I'm here now."
LOL, yep!! Nothing like family to really piss you off!! Help em out lots and then when you need help.... I Uhhh need to clip my toenails, so ya no can do. LOL. Then when your yes turns to no all the sudden your an ass!!

Buck98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don’t know who said this and I may have quoted it before on here somewhere but “all a man has is his word, if the man’s word is no good, what good is the man” just something I try to remind myself when dealing with other people. Trust your gut and keep your eyes open.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been looking for a smaller home and some of the "big" builders reviews on the internet are not too pretty good. Taber proudly overbuilt has a lot of complaints as does many others but whether it is true or not remains to be seen. All builders cut corners to increase profit in my mind. It reminds me of the story I heard once about a sheep rancher who had a massive herd of sheep and someone said, "the sheep don't look natural with their tails." The sheep rancher replied, "do you know what 2,000 sheep tails weigh? It affects profit.

GIJROB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did my first ever contracted house project last year, what a learning experience. I was fortunate I picked a Contractor I really liked, and he is a stand up guy. What I discovered out of this experience is that the Subs can be the challenge. In my case all of them threw trash on the ground when there are cans within tossing distance. They learned that they would clean up at my jobsite. The amount of waste is unbelievable, the answer is always get another piece, even though one the size needed is laying at your feet. And the Contractor grossly over buys to compensate for this. I managed to get about $2500 in saved and returned materials by managing the installs and pushing to return unused product. And there is little critical thinking, little perspective on "does this look OK?" more of a focus on getting it completed and leaving asap. Call backs don't seem to bother them to fix crappy work. The brick mason had to redo his work 3 times, not matching soldier course properly, and being lazy and using small brick pieces when filling in a door(pic attached). It seems the life of a Contractor is having your hair on fire everyday fighting all of the issues and complaints about the subs.

My guy wants to hire me when I retire, I told him I would do it, but he is going to have to change his MO, I don't do hair on fire...
Man i haven't laid a brick or block in years but damn!

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.
Does anyone ever list these contractors who are sh*t? It's always some mystery as to who it is. I don't want to hire some nutsack that screws up or tries to rip me off only to find out he's done it to people here but he was always some kind of enigma.

Will the forum get busted for naming a contractor that does shoddy work? Should we have a Bad Contractor warning thread?
Great idea, should be a stickie called Shotty's list in honor of the OP. Okay I'll start.
Reality Design & Renovations, Tulsa: owner Mark R. Salas. I wouldn't let him bottom-paint the Titanic!

Latest posts

Top Bottom