Do y’all have a favorite load for 38special?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
2.2 Trail Boss and a 95 gr bullet is VERY mild
3.5 Unique and 125 gr is ACCURATE
3.8 Clays is also good load

Lighter recoil less
My powder coated .358 bullets are 95, 105, 115, and 125.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Tell the truth.....are those padded gloves for your wife or for you? 😜🤣
Gloves would be for me , base of my thumb hurts for a couple hours or days after shooting. Well , my hands ache constantly but range time takes the to a whole new level ! :cool:

EKing

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Short barrel, light weight revolvers just suck to shoot, even in the "wimpy" 38 Special. Doesn't matter how tough you are or how tough you think you are.
I had the Ruger LCR 38 Special for about 2 months. Even the factory standard velocity loads hurt my hands. Couldn't believe it, I was used to shooting 45 Auto and 357 Mag in larger guns with no complaints; how could the lowly 38 Special be so awful? Traded it off for something else.

If you must, load it with (as suggested above) 148 grain wadcutters at low velocity, about 600 or 700 feet per second. Get you some Bullseye or TiteGroup. Terrific target loads.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I love 158 gr HP wadcutters in a mid range load of Unique. That is what I load for my wife in her airweight and she likes them too.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Trailboss will be your friend. The cheerios of the gunpowder world. Making some lighter loads, especially with lighter bullets, the Trailboss will provide more case fill than any of your other powders. I have a pretty good load with 158gr WC's and Ramshot Zip, but it only fills the case to about 1/3 capacity. Trailboss is very popular for the light load 38's and 357's.

forindooruseonly

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom