Do You Agree?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Already have bud. Knowledge is powerful.
Some people are terrified of firearms, but we know if handled correctly are safe. We were taught how to handle firearms safely. We handle firearms carefully but without worry.

Of course if you aren't comfortable with doing it, don't go up and grab one, but it really isn't a big deal. They can't shoot their quills at you. They don't slap you with their tail.
Oh, the porcupine. Thought you were talking about the Badger:yikes2: .

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I made a serious error in judgment years ago when I was out running the trails down by the old OCS (Officer Candidate School) training area while I was stationed at Quantico, VA. I had just come out of the woods and off a trail and spotted a large badger not that far in front of me moving really slowly across a grassy area heading towards some un-occupied old OCS barracks buildings. From the way he was moving, I thought he must be either really old or that something was physically wrong with him, like an injury or something. I ran towards him, yelling at him. I think I scared him, 'cause he was sort of waddling away from me, and I could tell he was really trying to hustle, anxious to get to those buildings, where I assumed he must have a burrow or whatever. About then, I decided that it would be a good idea to run up behind him and kick him in the ass.

Well, it turns out that it really wasn't.

I still think he was either really old or had an injury, because I beat him to an occupied building that was not too far away that (Thank God) had unlocked doors. Had I known the trick then about picking him up by his hind legs...I wouldn't have.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I made a serious error in judgment years ago when I was out running the trails down by the old OCS (Officer Candidate School) training area while I was stationed at Quantico, VA. I had just come out of the woods and off a trail and spotted a large badger not that far in front of me moving really slowly across a grassy area heading towards some un-occupied old OCS barracks buildings. From the way he was moving, I thought he must be either really old or that something was physically wrong with him, like an injury or something. I ran towards him, yelling at him. I think I scared him, 'cause he was sort of waddling away from me, and I could tell he was really trying to hustle, anxious to get to those buildings, where I assumed he must have a burrow or whatever. About then, I decided that it would be a good idea to run up behind him and kick him in the ass.

Well, it turns out that it really wasn't.

I still think he was either really old or had an injury, because I beat him to an occupied building that was not too far away that (Thank God) had unlocked doors. Had I known the trick then about picking him up by his hind legs...I wouldn't have.
Porcupine you can pick up by a hind leg, not a badger. A badger you want to grab by the scruff of the neck.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Porcupine you can pick up by a hind leg, not a badger. A badger you want to grab by the scruff of the neck.

I stand corrected. However, I don’t want to pick a badger up at all. And I’m not crazy about grabbing a porker by his hind legs either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Only seen two badgers in the wild and it was in the same year. We were quail hunting with my Brittany. She sees something and runs toward it. It looks like a possum trying to lay low but it ended up being a low profile badger head sticking up from its burrow. I guess my dog could tell by the tone of my voice that she could get herself in trouble and backed off. I raked the badgers head with a load of birdshot..

Latest posts

Top Bottom