Do you carry a sidearm while hunting/fishing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with a game warden with ODWC in OKC.

It is legal to carry a modern firearm either open or concealed during archery and muzzle loader season for self protection only.......playing the devils advocate I ask if the handgun could be used to humanly dispatch a downed deer and he said no, it can only be used for self protection.

I was wrong and stand corrected.
Well if you thought you were right all the time you would be a ...... woman!! :bolt: 😂

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can never be under armed…

Attachments

• 79549E40-81B4-4B81-A821-407730E2F7B8.png
    79549E40-81B4-4B81-A821-407730E2F7B8.png
    587.2 KB · Views: 52

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I'm anywhere other than Montana, I carry my G19 with BB 147gr Hardcast +P Outdoorsman. If in Montana it is my Colt Anaconda 44mag with BB 340gr Hard Cast +P+. Always an OWB holster when in the outdoors, hiking or hunting.

bill allen

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I remember when the Shower Stall rapist was active. We lived in an apartment near 61st and peoria at the time. The police contacted my wife and I to inform us that this guy was currently stalking my wife. Our apartment opened into a hallway where there was an attic access. The police went up there and the rapist had drilled a hole in our bedroom ceiling so he could look around. They said you could see easily all around the bedroom. He was arrested a short time later.

Last edited:

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't read all 5 pages of the thread, but I was familiar with that story from when it happened.

I didn't always carry when fishing, but I do now, for the most part, not because of this one story, but because of the general decline of Western Civilization and the inherent good will of my fellow man.

I also learned from that story to be a little careful shooting my mouth off to people that are holding loaded weapons, but that's just me.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Always and without exception!

Two weeks ago, my wife and I went to a new fishing spot, out in the middle of nowhere. I just unloaded my 10 ft. Pelican bass boat from the back of the truck, and some guy came walking up and said he wanted to check it out. We talked about 5 minutes and he turned around to leave, and I started getting the trolling unloaded. About that time, he had hold of my little boat and was dragging it over to his truck. He cussed me and my wife out and said that it was his boat!

My wife looked at me and I said draw your weapon, walk to my left and cover the cab in case their is someone in it.

I drew my weapon and kept it down by my side. I approached the guy and told him to take my boat back over to my truck!

About that same time, my wife shouted there was another guy in the truck! I told her to keep her weapon down by her side, and not to raise it unless she saw that they were armed.

The guy I was facing reached behind his back and I raised my revolver and told him that I would kill him if he did not slowly raise both hands.

About that same second, my wife screams GUN! I told to take aim and kill him if he exits the vehicle with a weapon in his hands.

The guy I was covering raises his hands, and I ordered him to lay down on the ground and spread his arms and legs. He complied.

I went behind the truck, covered the passenger, and ordered him out of the truck at gun point. I told him I would shoot him in the head if he came out with a weapon.

I ordered the passenger to lay beside his buddy on the ground and he complied.

My wife took a fully loaded Marlin 30-30 out of the truck, along with a loaded sawed off shotgun and a loaded snub nosed revolver. A quick glance showed the serial numbers had been ground off.

I loaded the boat back in my truck while my wife watched the two guys, and after I got everything loaded back up, I told my wife to get the guys tag information, but of course their truck did not have a tag.

I told the guys to get in their truck and leave out in front of us, and that they could pick up their guns from the local Sheriff's Department. They left going one way and we went the other.

We took the guns straight to the Sheriff's Department, and told them the whole story of everything that had taken place. Then we each had to write out a statement of everything that we had just told them.

Longer story cut short, the Sheriff said he would recommend that we not go back to that place, and if we ever spotted that truck or either of the guys again, to call them immediately.

My wife asked if we were in any kind of trouble for pulling our weapons, and the Deputy we originally spoke to, said we both handled the situation very well. He asked why we did not call 911 and we both said that we could give them directions because we were out in boonies and no physical address to our location.

We later learned that all 3 weapons were stolen and the sawed off shotgun was turned over to ATF, so this is now a Federal case.

This is just one reason why we ALWAYS carry a sidearm. I have for over 40 years, and my wife has for the past 5 years. You just never know who or what is out there, just waiting to ruin your day!

Holy. ****.

I gotta tell ya, I might have shot the guy when he went behind his back and I'd been told his partner had a gun.

I think you handled that about as well as anyone could, except maybe holding them at gunpoint while the wife went to the closest intersection to call the po-po, or to drop a GPS pin with your phone so they could locate ya, but I'd have probably wet down both legs by then, so I ain't gonna armchair QB ya.

Glad you and the wife made it out safely.

Latest posts

Top Bottom