Do you carry around the house in case a buffalo shows up?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is this another good reason to carry around the house for surprise visitors?

I live South of Chouteau and North of Wagoner about 4 miles East of HW 69. West side of the river feeding Ft. Gibson Lake. A neighbor called my cell phone and ask if I had seen the buffalo in the pasture behind my house. Excuse me? I know he drinks a few beers occasionally, but never seen him drink to that extent. He is an avid hunter that does some Elk hunting every once in a while. I hear his wife talking in the background about it. What is going on? I was not home, an hour away. I told him my neighbor who owns the pasture had brought in a very big black bull to service his herd recently. He emphatically stated, not a chance. I said ok, I will call you back. I called Wifey who was at home. She took a look out back, got the binoculars out, there he was, a big black buffalo roaming around the pasture like one of my neighbors cows but who would have nothing to do with him. Wifey said he was as big as her car. Well, kinda unique I would say, sorry I missed it.

Sheriff finally came out and shot him with a tranquilizer and they finally found a way to haul him off. He must have escaped from the wildlife zoo thingie over toward Peggs. He would have had to swim across the river to get to where he was. Several years ago I saw an Emu on the bank of the lake a little further down across from Whitehorn Cove, must have came from the same place.

Keep your situational awareness, Ya just never know what might show up around the house.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hehe...I live on Lake Lawtonka, right next to the Wichita Mountain Wildlife Preserve and I have wondered about a bison getting out and roaming through our neighborhood. When I bike through the preserve I do carry but most likely would use it on myself because I doubt my pea-shooter would do much to a bison.

fatcpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Wichita Mountains game preserve auctions off a few every once in a while. I know several people around Duncan that either have them or have owned them in the past. Guy I work with bought 4 to keep on his ranch out by Bray. They were almost impossible to keep fenced in if they decided to roam. He finally sold them. At the present time, someone has 4 on a small acreage about 2 miles outside of the Duncan city limits. It's on the road I travel to get to the SCRAP range out by Duncan Lake. If you don't know they're there, it will cause you to do a double-take when you're driving down Plato Road and they're grazing by the fenceline about 30 feet from the road.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Quite a few around SWOK. Can be EXTREMELY mean, docile one minute and complete psycho the next. Will walk through most any fence and they can / do swim. Tasty, too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom