Do you carry around the house in case a buffalo shows up?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was backpacking in the witchitas once and came around a corner. What did we find? One pissed off bull. We scattered like little children running from the boogie man.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All I know is that you can't roller skate in a buffalo herd...

Childish version: You cain't roller skate on a buffalo turd.

You know, sometimes long term memory is not a good thing.

When my wife asked me why I needed a "buffalo gun", which is her term for a .45-70, I said, "You just never know when one might show up in the front yard." I reckon it was a good arguement, cause she got me the rifle for Christmas a couple of years ago.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Wichita Mountains game preserve auctions off a few every once in a while. I know several people around Duncan that either have them or have owned them in the past. Guy I work with bought 4 to keep on his ranch out by Bray. They were almost impossible to keep fenced in if they decided to roam. He finally sold them. At the present time, someone has 4 on a small acreage about 2 miles outside of the Duncan city limits. It's on the road I travel to get to the SCRAP range out by Duncan Lake. If you don't know they're there, it will cause you to do a double-take when you're driving down Plato Road and they're grazing by the fenceline about 30 feet from the road.

I've seen those guys while driving out to SCRAP and, you're right, the first time it did make me do a double take.
Last weekend I passed and it looked like treed acreage on which they roam has been plowed up...at least many trees were cut down or overturned and uprooted with no sign of bison around.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I figure unless the buffalo is in my house standing next to the safe I'd have time to retrieve the .44mag revolver, the .30-06, the .50 Beowulf or go old school with the 1873 Springfield "trapdoor" carbine .45-70. Or, even more old school, a bow and arrow. Since I don't have a spear or an atlatl that's as old school as I can go lol.

Sure would be cheaper than one of those mega-expensive buffalo hunts. I would LOVE to go on a real buffalo hunt, not one of those where they pick one out of the herd, drive you up to it and you get out and shoot it while the tractor sits nearby idling waiting to pick it up for you.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All I know is that you can't roller skate in a buffalo herd...

But you can be happy if you're a mind to . . .
----------------------------------------------------------------

In 1971, a lieutenant stationed at Ft. Sill decided to go one on one with a buffalo (bison if we're splitting hairs) in the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge. He never woke up. Lasted for an unknown number of years in a brain dead coma. One way to avoid Viet Nam, but not a good one.

That same year, some guys I was working with were driving around in the Refuge, and not all of them were sober. "Sh*t, I'cn ride one 'o them buffalers." (As quoted by the allegedly sober driver.) Buffalo were down for the night. Idiot jumps on a big one, grabs it by the shoulder hair, and gets a hundred yard ride, whereupon he loses his grip and falls off. The gods were with him, and the buff kept going.

I knew these guys pretty well, and their story hung together pretty well. Before they left town, they held what I believe to be an informal intervention in which they forced the idiot to confront his "little drinking problem." Last I heard, he had joined AA and had his career back on track.

Latest posts

Top Bottom