Do you carry with one in the chamber?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you carry with a round chambered

• Yes, always no safety

Votes: 51 58.0%
  • Yes always with safety on

Votes: 25 28.4%
  • No round chambered

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • My carry gun is a revolver

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • Gun has a manual safety but is not engaged

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Glock, M&P, Kel Tec, Ruger, and lots of others do the same.
Those are the two main pistols I carry, G23 and 92FS. . The others pistols you mentioned I assume you are talking about trigger safeties? I haven’t been familiarized with any of the other striker trigger safety guns.
About 15 to 16 years ago I really hated the glock trigger. It has grown on me. Before that I was fond of my old 1911. That has a trigger I liked.

JoeUSooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I carry a standard Springfield Armory XD model (4", not the M or S), WITH a chambered round. One manual safety is on the back of the grip, and the 2nd manual safety is built into the trigger - also, the pistol has a "rolling block" internal safety, as well. I feel very safe carrying it fully charged. Daisy hasn't growled at me yet, so she obviously doesn't mind me carrying it that way! :pms2:

farmer17

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't answer the poll because I carry differently at different times and situations. I always have an LCP II .380 in the truck chamber empty and many times I'll put it in my pocket the same way. If I feel the need I'll chamber a round but that rarely happens because I don't go places where I feel the need. I love my 1911s and Browning HPs but I don't like to carry mine cocked and locked, I've got a Smith Highway Patrolman, Ruger stainless Security Six, and a Smith M58 .41 mag I carry fully loaded in a strong side thumbreak holster when times dictate. I have a CZ 75 9m/m I carry hammer down round chambered, and safety off sometimes but it's pretty heavy, and I'm wanting to buy an S&W compact (the size of a Glock 19) which I would carry chamber loaded with the thumb safety on. I realize chamber empty is frowned upon by the experts but I'm happy with it and the main reason is, I worry about loosing a gun in a restaurant booth, toilet stall, on the ground, etc. like many have done and some little kid picks it up and shoots their self or someone else accidentally. If I lived in a more dangerous area I might have two or three guns on me chamber loaded and ready to go.

Rustygun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't answer the poll because I carry differently at different times and situations. I always have an LCP II .380 in the truck chamber empty and many times I'll put it in my pocket the same way. If I feel the need I'll chamber a round but that rarely happens because I don't go places where I feel the need. I love my 1911s and Browning HPs but I don't like to carry mine cocked and locked, I've got a Smith Highway Patrolman, Ruger stainless Security Six, and a Smith M58 .41 mag I carry fully loaded in a strong side thumbreak holster when times dictate. I have a CZ 75 9m/m I carry hammer down round chambered, and safety off sometimes but it's pretty heavy, and I'm wanting to buy an S&W compact (the size of a Glock 19) which I would carry chamber loaded with the thumb safety on. I realize chamber empty is frowned upon by the experts but I'm happy with it and the main reason is, I worry about loosing a gun in a restaurant booth, toilet stall, on the ground, etc. like many have done and some little kid picks it up and shoots their self or someone else accidentally. If I lived in a more dangerous area I might have two or three guns on me chamber loaded and ready to go.

I guess you can carry any way you want but I struggle with the concept of “losing a gun” your statement was you carry with an empty chamber Because you worry about losing a gun? WTF? If you accept the responsibility of carrying a weapon you have to accept the responsibility of retaining control of that weapon at all times. Nobody, I mean nobody ever loses a gun, I have never even heard anyone say anything like this. What kind of holster do you have? Let me guess, it’s one of those $9.00 soft nylon ones that all different guns You mentionEd fit into but none of them fit correctly? Also all those different guns will take a tremendous amount of practice and training to be proficient and safe. I will STRONGLY recommend a hand gun class or some kind of formal training.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess you can carry any way you want but I struggle with the concept of “losing a gun” your statement was you carry with an empty chamber Because you worry about losing a gun? WTF? If you accept the responsibility of carrying a weapon you have to accept the responsibility of retaining control of that weapon at all times. Nobody, I mean nobody ever loses a gun, I have never even heard anyone say anything like this. What kind of holster do you have? Let me guess, it’s one of those $9.00 soft nylon ones that all different guns You mentionEd fit into but none of them fit correctly? Also all those different guns will take a tremendous amount of practice and training to be proficient and safe. I will STRONGLY recommend a hand gun class or some kind of formal training.
There are several incidences of people including LEO leaving weapons behind in restrooms, etc.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know of at least one incidence of an LEO left behind, but it wasn't in a restroom, it was after a call out and his radio was dead. His partner was transporting illegals and must have got excited. He was walking down a very dusty road in the middle of no where when I found him....he sure was thirsty! But he was chambered.....good thing it was a ways to El Paso, I think he would have used that chambered round in a blue on blue incident.
In all fairness it was a model 19 Smith so it was loaded anyway, and he never said a word to me about the 30-30 resting muzzle down on the seat, or the Colt Single Action I was wearing.....at 17! God miss the old days in New Mexico.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just one incident among many.
The chief of the San Luis Obispo Police Department left her pistol in a bathroom- and things reportedly only got worse from there.

On July 10, SLOPD Chief Deanna Cantrell left her Glock service pistol in the bathroom of an El Pollo Loco restaurant, leaving the establishment before she noticed it was gone.

Returning to the eatery, Cantrell noticed the firearm was nowhere to be found.

Despite the chief’s claim that she reported her pistol stolen, the Cal Coast Times reported that she actually investigated the theft personally for two hours before telling a department employee on a non-recorded line.
https://www.leoaffairs.com/californ...ot-her-service-pistol-in-restaurant-bathroom/

A non recorded line? WTF is it with all the "transparency" issues they profess to make things right?

Rustygun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are an estimated 300 million guns in the hands of the public in the US and the odds are with that many people and firearms there are going to be a very very small percentage that are incompetent enough to lose a gun. If you are one of those, for your safety and the safety of the public please sell your firearms now.

James Abram

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I saw this and thought it was funny.

IMG_2470.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom