Do you carry with one in the chamber?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you carry with a round chambered

• Yes, always no safety

Votes: 51 58.0%
  • Yes always with safety on

Votes: 25 28.4%
  • No round chambered

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • My carry gun is a revolver

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • Gun has a manual safety but is not engaged

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Simple rule, you carry however you are comfortable. If it works for you, it is no one else business and attacking someone's preferred carry just shows what a busybody dick you are.

My preferred carry would be my 6" 357 on a wide cartridge belt, but that is not practical for most people. 2nd method is my P89 in a pancake, crossdraw 1 in the chamber and hammer down. 3rd is my CC and is a Shield 9mm with one in the chamber and safety on, but if I could I would rather have a small 9 with a hammer I could carry like my P89.

That is what I am comfortable with and anyone that does not approve can kiss my hairy old a$$.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
^^^^^Just when it looks like a thread has died...

I didn't know that a Thompson fired from an open bolt until the first time I fired one, craziest thing I'd heard of lol. Lots of rounds down range and a 10lb trigger instead of a 2lb trigger and extremely accurate lol.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Several years ago(late 80's), we had a bomb threat at the company where I was employed. I was taking the first responding county deputy to the appropriate area, when I noticed that he must not have had "one in the chamber" because he didn't even have a mag in his holstered 1911. I enjoyed pointing that out to a couple of other firearm enthusiasts present.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I carry my single action 1849 31 cal. black powder revolver fully loaded and caped with the hammer down between nipples on the little spot milled into the cylinder for that purpose. Matter of fact, I don't know where the "only carry 5" in a Colt single action revolver came from. It is complete nonsense! Colt didn't design a 5 shot six shooter. The procedure was to lower the hammer's firing pin down between two case heads. That way if dropped it didn't discharge, and if needed it had all six. I really don't know where these things get started, but that B.S. has been around a long long time. Cavalry manuals from the late 1800s detail the lowering between case heads as the way to carry the Colt.

Latest posts

Top Bottom