Do you carry with one in the chamber?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you carry with a round chambered

• Yes, always no safety

Votes: 51 58.0%
  • Yes always with safety on

Votes: 25 28.4%
  • No round chambered

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • My carry gun is a revolver

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • Gun has a manual safety but is not engaged

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Several years ago(late 80's), we had a bomb threat at the company where I was employed. I was taking the first responding county deputy to the appropriate area, when I noticed that he must not have had "one in the chamber" because he didn't even have a mag in his holstered 1911. I enjoyed pointing that out to a couple of other firearm enthusiasts present.
When I was acting staff duty officer at Sill my MP's had to ask permission to chamber a round in their 1911's they carried on duty. Most didn't have their weapon's magazines inserted. When I asked why I was told the army environment was safer on post than a civilian environment according to the post commander. That all changed when the effer that stole the APC ran over Lawton PD and MP cars then tore up the Ft Sill Golf Course.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like to place the cover of Town and Country on my magazines. That way I can safely enjoy Hustler even if my wife sees me reading. I know, a covered magazine will seem slow to some, but it works for me!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I carry my single action 1849 31 cal. black powder revolver fully loaded and caped with the hammer down between nipples on the little spot milled into the cylinder for that purpose. Matter of fact, I don't know where the "only carry 5" in a Colt single action revolver came from. It is complete nonsense! Colt didn't design a 5 shot six shooter. The procedure was to lower the hammer's firing pin down between two case heads. That way if dropped it didn't discharge, and if needed it had all six. I really don't know where these things get started, but that B.S. has been around a long long time. Cavalry manuals from the late 1800s detail the lowering between case heads as the way to carry the Colt.
Some of the manufacturers got into the 5 shot six shooter by marking one cylinder with dots to mark it as the empty chamber.
I had an Virginian Dragoon in .44 mag that was like that from the 80's. The instruction manual even said to only carry 5.
It was one that was stolen during a home burglary many years ago. Still have the box. I might see if the instruction manual is still in it and post a pic of the section that talks about it.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Several years ago(late 80's), we had a bomb threat at the company where I was employed. I was taking the first responding county deputy to the appropriate area, when I noticed that he must not have had "one in the chamber" because he didn't even have a mag in his holstered 1911. I enjoyed pointing that out to a couple of other firearm enthusiasts present.

Deputy Barney Fife lol

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wasn't it around the 80s when manufacturers had to start putting on those huge ugly "warning read manual before use" cause if ya'll stupid it's gonna hurt litigious stuff? Can you imagine the wording it would take to tell them how to safely load and carry all 6? Far far far easier to say only load 5. You see cavalry men in 1875 were much smarter than today's public educated.......Lawyers???:doh:

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow. Lots of people forgot the Israelis carried one without one in the chamber. Betcha they got in more gunfights than anyone here. It's not how I carry, but I'm not going to throw stones if that's how someone is carrying and they've trained for it. I'd wager a quality class would open a LOT of eyes/expose a number of people's thinking in general.

Latest posts

Top Bottom