Do you give a premium for private sale?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

in the below scenario: How much more would you pay over $350

• Nothing more, Private has no value

Votes: 24 80.0%
  • $1-$20

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • $21-$40

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • $41-$60

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • $61+

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had a discussion with a buddy about this...

I give a premium for private sale and he doesn't, and we were curious about the "average" buyer.

We aren't talking about NFA (obviously) as I have plenty of those; SBR, AOW and suppressors - and we weren't talking about custom, hard to find local stuff that you almost have to order and ship/transfer to find.

But, for the "average" gun (Think Glock 19 or AR for example) do you give a premium for a private sale over 4473?

FOR THE POLL:

If you walk into a gunshow, and want a Glock 19, and there are 2 tables next to each other with matching 99% condition G19 pistols from 2 different guys:

#1 is a dealer and requires 4473 and the G19 is cheap ($350)

#2 is a private seller and has a cash price and is ready to deal.

DO YOU PAY MORE THAN $350 to buy privately? If so, how much?

My answer: In this scenario I'd pay up to $380 ($30 premium) for private. Anything more than that and I'd just do the paperwork, but anything less and I'm happy to just pay cash and walk.

My Buddy: He said he would buy the G19 from the dealer and get the better deal. He doesn't care that he has to fill out the form and register it.

What so you, OSA?

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I didn't know the private seller at all (e.g., wasn't a friend, or an OSA member, etc.), I'd go for the best deal. The paperwork doesn't bother me at all.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I've never worried about a paper trail and usually go with the best price.

That being said, if the private sale was just $10 or so higher, I might go that route just to avoid the inconvenience of spending time on the 4473 process.

Also, I've don't know as I've ever seen a private seller priced higher than a dealer on the same gun, other than online. :D

Certainly never at a gunshow.

POKE1911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I think there are pros and cons to both. Obviously a private transaction will be much more efficient and less time consuming. Less papers floating around with your personal information on it and not having to deal with the government is a plus.
On the other hand, I like the piece of mind buying from a dealer gives you. Less likely it is stolen, paper trial if it is. If you buy it and it doesn't go bang a good dealer may help work with you or with the company on your behalf.
So I wouldn't say I would put a premium either way. All things being equall I would probably buy from the LOCAL dealer. Sometimes even if it is a little more. I love going in my favorite LGS, looking at guns and bulshitting with the owner so to help him keep his passion going it's worth the extra to me. For private it needs to be a great deal or maybe helping someone out of a bind.

Latest posts

Top Bottom