DO you keep your OAL the same for each bullet weight?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks Lance, I'll come back out to 1.150 and experiment with my powder load.
1.150 is working good on the Hornady 147gr, I think I have that load dialed in with 3.4gr TG. Just need to verify PF which I think will be OK.
That 147gr load is so much softer and tighter than my 124gr load.

I'll change it to see if I get better accuracy, but usually I keep it at 1.15 oal

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, if i ever use a FN bullet (which I don't right now) I would take that into account.
As I'm sure you know, the specs change from source to source Seems no 2 books are the same. I was fishing for some real world experiences.
OAL is still somewhat of a mystery to me, yes it affects pressures and chamber distances, but is there a sweet spot for most FMJ's in 9mm. Take the gun into account and you have all kinds of variables to consider. PLUS we are talking hundredths of and inch (thousandths in some cases) and at the extremes this is VERY important, but in the middle it seems trial and error?
Thanks for the feedback.

No. The load specs change with different weights and bullet configurations.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Overall is one word though.

COL = Cartridge Overall Length

I usually stick to about 1.15. The 3.4gr TG loads cycle better at that length. I assume it is because a little higher pressure.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, the OAL depends on the caliber, right?

So since Lance mentioned an OAL of 1.15, how did he know the OP was talking about 9mm? :scratch:

Latest posts

Top Bottom