Do you leave your rifles at the firing line when going downrange?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnson184

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always leave my handguns at the benches when going down range to reset targets, etc. but I've only really shot long distance at private land. Thinking of trying out the 100-300yard ranges at USSA here in Tulsa, but I'm wondering if people just leave their rifles, etc. at the firing line when they're walking downrange. Maybe I'm just not that trusting... but leaving thousands of dollars of guns/scopes on the line when I'm 300 yards away isn't appealing lol.

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The range I use is an outdoor public range. If someone I am with stays at the table I normally leave my guns there. If we all go downrange at the same time I always take my most expensive rifle/handgun with me, loaded.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The range I go to, you have to leave the guns on the table unless you are CC or open carry handgun. No loaded rifles carried down range.

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The range I used to visit required notifier flags and no one could go near the bench during a cease fire. The range master would yell at you pretty loud. You are either standing behind a red line or down range changing targets until the all clear.

Transmitted via Tactical Telecommunications Device

whiskeysnoot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not to step on toes, but if I see someone carrying his rifle downrange to check target I'm going to peg him as a noob. And keep a serious eye on him the rest of the time. If I stick around.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
NO.
Anytime I go down range, my guns are secured. I can just vision somebody coming around the corner at the 300 yd range and thinking, "looky here, free gun"

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not to step on toes, but if I see someone carrying his rifle downrange to check target I'm going to peg him as a noob. And keep a serious eye on him the rest of the time. If I stick around.

I sometimes run with my rifle (and gear) from the 2,3 or 500 yard line to target and back. I'm usually the only one at the range, especially during summer afternoons. (It's too HOT to shoot today, the ladies wail...)
I'm a noob.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How do you secure them?

Leave my gun case open in the back of the truck and lay my rifle in it. Close it then drive to the targets.
I know it would never happen, but I keep mulling over in my mind that if I didn't, I'd turn around and see somebody picking up my rifle and driving off someday.
Most of the time I'm the only person there in the middle of the week.

Latest posts

Top Bottom