Do you reload or do you buy 9mm

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Saw another members comment about buying 9mm because only saving a few cents if he reloads and not wanting to use his primers for that cheap of a round.

Sitting here looking at my 2 boxes of 9mm bullets (1000 pieces) and wondering if I should even hang onto them. I only have a single stage press and I don’t even have 9mm dies yet…

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I never buy loaded ammo typically. One huge contradiction to that statement.
When Wallyworld decided to quit carrying pistol ammo and put it on a major clearance, I bought every round they had in two stores.
Basically ended up with almost a pallet full.
Over the last two years, been trading it here and there for additional shooting/reloading gear/supplies.
Down to a couple thousand round I’ll hold on to until this reloading shortages subside.
Even if reloads cost as much as factory loads, I get some sort of therapy of firing something I built.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I buy it. Single stage press here too. I load more expensive and uncommon calibers, such as .44 mag, 45/70, etc... of course rifle too 30.06, 6.5, etc.. Never really considered reloading 9mm because range ammo was always so cheap and time is valuable. Although I must admit the shortages a couple years ago had me reconsidering!

I agree, there is certainly satisfaction that comes from shooting your own hand loads. That being said my 9mm guns are my defensive guns, not necessarily my target guns. I enjoy hand loading for casual target shooting and hunting.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A single stage is fully capable of loading 9mm.

I loaded on a single stage for decades. 9mm, 38 Spl, 357 Mag, 44 Mag, 30-30, 30-06, etc.

50 round batches; no problem. It goes surprisingly well.

Resize and prime. Bell, then set back in holder. Charge with powder in holder, with scoop and funnel. Seat and crimp.

And, I have an extra set of 9mm dies. What can we trade ?

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have thousands of rounds of 9mm ammo stocked from when I didn’t load for pistols, but I have a tool head set up for 9mm for my Dillon 650. I have never loaded anything on the Dillon but 45acp though.

I would say given the political climate it’s a good idea to be able to load 9mm even if it’s single stage.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do not own a 9 mm but bought 9 mm dies when I seen them cheap.
My younger son ended up getting one and I built him ammo.

I got projectiles cheap also and I do cast my own and I am into a bunch of lead for way cheap.
4 bucks to make 50 rounds of cast 357 ammo or cast rifle .

Put the pencil to it and see if you can build it cheaper than buying it.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I also load everything on a single stage press and i have never found any 9mm for sale cheaper than i can load it but then it cost me less than $5 per 100 for 9mm at the moment til my supplies runs out and have to start replacing and about the same for all pistol caliber i load for.

scott024

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Get a powder measure/drop for pistols. Pistol powders typically meter very well in them. Also good for ball powders if you load a lot of 5.56. I didn't use to load pistol rounds except 357, 45 LC, and 44 mag. It's not like I'd load more than 100 at a time, but when I started loading 357 sig in quantity because of the cost savings, I went ahead and got the components for 9mm too. It's a grind doing large quantities.

Latest posts

Top Bottom