Do you reload or do you buy 9mm

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Saw another members comment about buying 9mm because only saving a few cents if he reloads and not wanting to use his primers for that cheap of a round.

Sitting here looking at my 2 boxes of 9mm bullets (1000 pieces) and wondering if I should even hang onto them. I only have a single stage press and I don’t even have 9mm dies yet…
I do both, I love cheap steel ammo, when you find a deal buy it, I can reload for cheaper, but that’s a couple hours I don’t Have to do and I drop the cases and not care, with current supplies, I can load premium V-crowns for less than Tula, for me, reloading is therapeutic, for time savings I can go through a couple shooting sessions or 3 and shoot a case of Tula. Ymmv

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just reloaded my first 200 rounds of 9mm on a single stage. For me it was just a matter of reloading what components I already had on hand. I also had the free time available to sit down and do it.

Another thing that got me interested in reloading 9mm was projectile choice. Specifically, plated and coated bullets for shooting on steel. I read that plated and coated projectiles are safer to shoot on steel than jacketed ones.
I did that in the 90’s, single stage I have no time for, don’t hardly have it for a square deal and it’s pretty quick

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Both, just depends what I'm doing. I have my 750 set up for 9 but still buy factory stuff if priced right (like someone above said, my cutoff used to be $10 but it's gone up a bit due to everything going on). I like having a reasonable stash of factory stuff around regardless of reloading capabilities and supplies. I also generally prefer to test out new guns with factory stuff and let friends shoot factory stuff instead of my reloads if I am supplying the ammo. I have no rational explanation to any of that...it's just what I do.

Gideon

Formerly SirROFL
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My reloading setup is backwards.

I only load practice ammo because I don't trust reloads for self defense.
But then, of course, I barely save any money because cheap plinking ammo tracks closely to the cost of reloading, not to mention the time.
If I started working up hotter loads with more expensive bullets I'd actually save some money.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Especially when they find out a pound of smokeless can level a city block if it catches fire...:laugh6:

No doubt....when 5 grains of powder behind a 9mm can blow the lungs out of a body, it's certainly possible a pound would level a city block.

Oooooooohhhhhhhh ... don't EVEN say that! Not even in jest! Don't give the idiots any ideas!

Latest posts

Top Bottom