Do you service a brand new gun before break-in?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big green chopper

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What do you do & why?

Dry patch down the barrel, oil the rails or internals, full clean & strip, OR just go shoot it?

Also, what is your break-in process? I'm mainly thinking off the shelf handguns and rifles. Obviously some people go to great lengths for their competition barrels, but that isn't me.

I don't really have a system per say, so I was curious what the community thinks. Would have done a poll but wanted to leave it open ended.
I think you are playing with fire if you dont clean the bolt, chamber, and bore before shooting (this applies to new and used firearms). In some designs this inspection applies to the barrel extension and reciever as well. Here is why:

1. I have purchased both new and used barrels that had defects. One was serious and would most likely have resulted in a barrel failure and that can be deadly or leave you with serious injuries to the face and neck.

2. During cleaning you may discover cracks in the chamber, bolt, or breach.

3. In addition, you may notice any damage incurred by amature gun smithing. Particularly to the bore of a rifle. Most of us are very responsible and would never pass on a firearm that could get someone hurt, but IN ALL CASES, TRUST BUT VERIFY.

In summary, I do not clean much and because I don't shoot F-class, I do not do the ridiculous barrel break-in procedures that have questionable affects. However, if you don't clean and inspect before shooting you are gambling. Good luck and good shooting. pew pew

JR18

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Full send and shoot. Heck I didn’t even clean my 2011 till it started giving me issues. Which was around 2K rounds.

AtomicTango

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ll field strip before I take possession just to make sure everything looks ok. Then get home and wipe off any excess preservatives, but that’s mostly because I don’t want that crap flying everywhere and making a mess.

Other than than grip it and rip it. If something goes wrong apply lube. I personally think new guns should just work out of the box.

Latest posts

Top Bottom