Do you shoot spikes?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huntemup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shouldn’t baffle you too much bc many spikes do in fact stay spikes. We always called them
Cow horns when they continued to carry just their 2 points well past 1.5 years old. By the same token, many spikes can eventually go on to become something more, but they are likely to always be behind yearlings who had split anylers in their first year.

Obviously there are exceptions to every rule but given that most bucks ain’t gonna survive past 4.5 yrs, I’d have no problem considering spikes a cull deer esp if they are 2.5+

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Shouldn’t baffle you too much bc many spikes do in fact stay spikes. We always called them
Cow horns when they continued to carry just their 2 points well past 1.5 years old. By the same token, many spikes can eventually go on to become something more, but they are likely to always be behind yearlings who had split anylers in their first year.
You will definitely have to provide some biology data on this one. I've talked to a couple biologists and the wildlife dept and they refute what you just said.

But it's not illegal..so shoot away. I personally don't do it because it will grow up 99.99% of the time and I have does a plenty to shoot.

If you're shooting for meat, or the last day, or a first timer, fine. But culling spikes has no real scientific backup.
https://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/...il-wisdom/dont-shoot-spike-bucks-as-an-excuse
I’d have no problem considering spikes a cull deer esp if they are 2.5+
And how do you determine that a spike is 2.5 y/o from a hunting blind?

Last edited:

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No I don't shoot spikes. For the reasons mentioned it doesn't determine their size when they get older.

I did shoot a 2.5yr old spike once (aged by jaw removal). He had 2.5-3" spikes on each side and field dressed 87 lbs. I honestly thought it was a doe when I shot him. Never saw those tiny spikes until I walked up on him. Something was definitely not right with that buck to be so small.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I typically shoot only does, as the wife prefers the less gamey meat.

I've had wall-hanger bucks walk right in front of me - I'll take a pic with my cell phone and send it to buddies, doesn't bother me a bit.

But...if I'm not seeing does, I'll shoot a spike in a heartbeat. Personally, I like the flavor, and they aren't as tough as a big buck.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I found a picture of the guy I originally asked about which peaked my question. It took a while to dig this up but I have seen him on several pictures. Here he is:

IMG_1095.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom