Do you store your tackle in your boat?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Didn't post in fishing because it isn't a fishing question, it is a logistics question.

My boat sits outside, covered. I store various items like anchors and life jackets, etc., but I don't keep any rods or tackle onboard while the boat is parked. I always ready what I want to take and load it the day I plan to go. But I see so many vids of people who store their baits and rods on the boat 100% of the time and I wondered if anyone who has a bass boat could shed some light?

Boat is in secure location so theft isn't the worry, it is if the extreme temps and variations in temps would hurt anything? Could line become brittle faster? Could soft baits be ruined? ETC, ETC...I would love to do it to save time, but the hot sun makes it like an oven under the boat cover. What do you guys do/think?

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep. Never had a problem with soft baits melting or anything in the SWOK shop I store it in. I have had a few hard baits puff up sitting on the deck in a clear plastic bin while I fished before though. Rods, reels, tackle, it all stays in there locked up.

Pro-Tip, most of the locks on all of the boats share a common key. Rekeying is a pain, but worth it if you travek with your boat.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mine is indoors as well, but twoforflinching's advice is spot on. Change those locks. It's not expensive.
I remember back in the day when working that all forklifts and most industrial equipment had the same "key" depending on the model.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Keep my boat inside, but my tackle is in a bag in the boat that I can grab if I want to go bank fishing. I don't have that much tackle.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mine is indoors as well, but twoforflinching's advice is spot on. Change those locks. It's not expensive.
I remember back in the day when working that all forklifts and most industrial equipment had the same "key" depending on the model.

Dennis, where do you get new lock cylinders and keys? Amazon or do you have to go to a locksmith?

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score

INDAK Will start everything from a Briggs mower to a earth mover.
s-l600.jpg

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Besides theft, the main hazard is probably direct sunlight. And if the boat is covered, that shouldn't be a problem (I'm sure you already know a light colored tarp/cover will be much cooler underneath than a dark one).

Not a boat owner, just my 2¢ ... :drunk2:

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah I'd love to have a car port or something but HOA's are always a threat. So for now, it stays covered out side (I have backyard access). I do pond fish in my neighborhood so I suppose having to go pull up the cover each time I want to fish might be a pain. Perhaps I will split my tackle up and keep some on the boat and some not. If it was stored inside or under a port I wouldn't have hesitated to do it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom