Do you think I can do it? IDPA,IPSC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slide

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a 59 year old retired police officer. I was in injured in the line of duty and as a result had to have two back surgeries. I am not crippled but do have to watch what I do. Do you fellas think someone like me could compete in these matches. I know there is quick moving sometimes. I do have a brace that helps a lot. I did consult with the doctor that did the surgeries and his attitude is try it but start slowly. You don't have to be afraid of hurting my feelings,just lay it out there.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We got a wounded vet in Connetticutt started in IDPA who has no legs. He does it from a wheelchair. I had back surgery in 2003 and won the IDPA Nationals in SSR division in 2005. The key is to know your limitations and communicate them to the Safety Officers. We try to be very inclusive in the sport and will make accomodations to the extent possible.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would say you most definitely can compete. First one will be a learning experience anyhow so just have fun and try and observe the guys who have been doing IDPA a while. It will be pretty obvious who these guys are. Don't expect to be the fastest guy out there right outta the gate. It takes some getting used to and while there are some stages with movement most of the faster guys aren't the ones sprinting between obstacles within a stage, they are the ones who move deliberately and hit their targets effectively. I have only done one so far and hope to do the one this coming Saturday at Oil Capital. See you there?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have an LEO with no legs in a wheel chair that shoots our steel challenge, and fun matches. He is currently Chief of Police in Derby KS. Ponca City range.

slide

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow,after hearing about these other guys you have to admire their courage.Who said Americans don't have any guts anymore. I have been on other forums and this one is different. This being one of my first posts all I got was encouragement and help. On the other sites if you post here comes somebody who wants to start an argument. I think I have gotten at least 10 invitations to shoot somewhere and to have help when I get there. What's up?

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Has nothing to do with this forum, and everything to do with the type of people that compete. You won't find a better crowd.

Hope to see you out there.

NINEROUND

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would echo those posts from the others, at least try it. Don't expect to be a Dave Sevigny or Todd Jarrett and go out there and zip through everything. Slow and easy, and test out what is comfortable for you to do. And have fun. Let us know how it goes if you decide to do it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom