Do you think I can do it? IDPA,IPSC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoldenBear

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a 59 year old retired police officer. I was in injured in the line of duty and as a result had to have two back surgeries. I am not crippled but do have to watch what I do. Do you fellas think someone like me could compete in these matches.
The answer is YES.

Your priorities of work at an IDPA/USPSA/IPSC match are:
1) Shoot safe;
2) Have fun;
3) Get your hits;
4) Shoot fast.

The first two are the most important. The last isn't.
Try it out and have fun.

45 shooter

Marksman
Reaction score
Years ago when I first started shooting IPSC, a friend described it as an armed track meet. Sure enough, I saw many highly competitive sorts showing up with running shorts and (I kid you not) cleats on their shoes for better traction moving between targets on a stage. However, I also saw a group of... well, not so competitively shaped gentlemen (ok, so they were in shape, It's just that their preferred shape was spherical). These guys all wore matching T-shirts with "Team Turtle" proudly blazoned across the back, with a graphic of a green turtle on the front. The T shirt also bore the words "Old and slow, but still having fun". That sums up my viewpoint of whether or not a person should shoot IPSC. Is it fun? Ok, then do it. You may never make the top of the leader board, but each person has their own motivation for the sport, and if you can honestly have a blast spending a few hours running around turning perfectly good money into hot dirty brass, then nothing else matters.

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sure you can. There's a guy who shoots here locally that wears a back brace. He's slow on the move, but once he sets his feet he opens up like a beltfed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom