Do you think young deer with funky racks need to be taken to preserve the gene pool?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If your managing your deer herd, do you think taking yearling or 18 month old bucks with non typical racks will preserve the gene pool of typical bucks, or will the young ones grow out of it and turn into "typical" racks?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Define "funky rack". I'm all about a trash on a rack.............but it kills a score if that's the goal unless it's freakish and large enough to be a nontypical. I'm sure you've seen just as many 3.5 and 4.5yo 9pts where we hunt as I have, a lot of them. Does that other point appear at 5.5 and 6.5yo? Or will it be there from the beginning?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
image-345232294.jpg

These racks were taken in a "city" hunt to take deer from a park.

image-3327782310.jpg

This is a chupacraba taken after partaking an excess amount of adult beverages.
Young children will not come into the shop after seeing this, and hearing the story of a near death account.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
View attachment 31721

These racks were taken in a "city" hunt to take deer from a park.

View attachment 31722

This is a chupacraba taken after partaking an excess amount of adult beverages.
Young children will not come into the shop after seeing this, and hearing the story of a near death account.

Chupacabra huh...............I was thinking a goat.

APeterson

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, on our lease we harvested as many bucks in the 1.5-2.5 year range with a very specific defect.
It took us 5 years to eliminate all the off spring with this defect. Turns out it was the maternal doe spreading the bad gene as opposed to the bucks.

We are now consistently harvesting quality deer and have resumed only harvesting 3.5 or older bucks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom