Dodge diesel and other engines that last a long time.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Talked to a guy that drives his trucks way more than anyone I know.
He supplies core engines and buys core engines and Loves the Dodge Diesel trucks. Always has a trailer in tow with lots of weight on it.

He was fixing some busted gears in the transmission when I seen him the other day.
We got to talking about the engine and he said he has fixed everything there is to fix on his old truck.
He has had a lot of those trucks and one that went the longest had 1 million 2 hundred thousand miles on it with original pistons and crank. never an issue with those part.
He said he keeps oil changed and filters clean and used Rotella.

That trumps a buddies 300 inline 6 Ford gas that got 450,000 and was still going strong.
And trumps my best ever 376,000 mile 200 inline 6 Ford gas that the vehicle fell apart around the engine and trans.

I have had many vehicles that went 300,000 plus miles that never had issues but to think 1 million miles and then some..I always liked inline 6 engines.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah the straight 6 cummins is a beast of a workhorse. The 5.9l 12 valve and the 6.7l 24 valve variants are hard to kill. They also sip the fuel when not pulling a load but can still open up and haul the big stuff.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am a better man because I once owned a 5.9 cummins. It loped like a cheetah. Never in a hurry, but got there fast and with muscle

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ive had 2 12 valves one had just over 300k and the other's Odometer quit at 300k before I got it so no telling there lol. Both fired right up and were ready to go every day. The common rail 5.9 (03-07) turns out were not so good. The fuel injection system was finicky and if an injector got hung open it would dump fuel like crazy and burn up a cylinder pretty quick. Lots of those trucks with rebuilt engines which isn't very cummins like IMO.

99-03 7.3 powerstroke is another one that will go a long time without major malfunction.

06-10 LBZ and LMM Duramax are also great engines that make good power and last a long time. Just have to delete the DPF from the LMM trucks. They also come with an Allison 1000 6 speed which is excellent...dodge has just in recent years started putting a good auto in their diesel trucks (aisin).

Latest posts

Top Bottom