Does anyone actually "count sheep?"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radarmonkey

Let's go Brandon
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Of late, on the nights I can't sleep, I try to find something productive to do; sort brass, clean the garage etc. Tonight's "sheep" are whetstone strokes. I've always enjoyed sharpening my knives, I think its the repetitive motion and the sound. It takes much longer than it used to. I have to stop and let my hands and forearms rest but it still zones me out. What do ya'll do on the nights you can't sleep?

Attachments

• 20211008_015137.jpg
    20211008_015137.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 45

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I find it a lot easier to go to sleep if the television is on... so I have an earphone and leave it on all night. I find that the best shows to go to sleep to are documentaries like Forensic Files, because is not so much fluctuation in volume and sounds, it's mostly someone talking. Another favorite is stand up comedians.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have had trouble sleeping for decades too. I'd get off work and have to wind down for hours. I have eliminated all the caffeine and soda drinks in my life and don't miss them a bit. I drink decaf coffee and tea.

I found years ago counting sheep never worked for me as I raised the woolly things. I'd start thinking about the stupid critters getting their heads stuck in the squares of the fence trying to eat the weeds on the other side. This always happened when I turned them out into the 2 foot tall hay grazer I planted. They'd get their wool wrapped around the fence wire and I had to cut the wool or the wire to release the sheep. Really made me mad so that didn't work.

I recently ran across this video and decided to try it. It really works for me.

Believe me, it sounds corny as hell but it makes me concentrate on the moving of the hands and the rhythm. I changed it a bit since I have noticed I exert myself and make my back hurt getting into bed. I just get into bed, adjust the covers, make myself comfortable and start tapping. I tap on the bed, somewhat aggressively at first, with my hands down to my sides.

After a few minutes, I notice my hands and wrists are getting tired and I'm starting to miss a tap or two and then slow down the beats and tap softer. I have found that the tapping makes me concentrate on just the tapping and the movement of the hands and my brain stops thinking of other things.

What took me half an hour to an hour or more to get to sleep now takes about 4 to 5 minutes. I also have found out that I sleep longer and without any interruptions and wake up ready to go.

Yes sir I have a bowel movement every day at 7 a.m. like clockwork. The only problem is I wake up at 8.

:anyone:

Last edited:

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I usually read. Helps take my mind off whatever is keeping me awake.

Tried counting sheep and it didn't help a bit. However, slowly counting backwards from 100 seems to. I guess it takes a bit more concentration than counting forward. Be sure to say the complete number in your head, and keep your mind on counting.
:drunk2:
___

Latest posts

Top Bottom