Does anyone carry with FMJ bullets?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What type of ammo do you use in you CCW?

• FMJ

Votes: 47 11.6%
  • JHP

Votes: 358 88.4%

• Total voters

Lucky13

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone carries their CCW with FMJ bullets in the mag?

When I watch shows like "First 48" it seems like the thugs are using FMJ.

It seems most people I know use JHP like I do.

Which do you use?

in my opinion. i want to do the most damage possible. so until they explosive tip or poison filled .45 ACP then i will just stick to the plain jane JHP

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have heard Clint Smith of Thunder Ranch recommend FMJ ammo for 1911 style pistols due to reliability issues. Not sure if he still advocates this, but it would seem wise to shoot alot of what you plan to carry to make sure your gun will run with it.

I don't know. I have a 1926 Colt 1911 that has never had any performance work on it and it has shot LSWC and Gold Sabers without a hiccup. As far as reliability goes, the only .45acp hollow points that I would carry would be the Golden Sabers since they have a profile that's not too far from FMJ. Those that might have a shoulder or a flatter nose, I would probably stay away from if I had a choice.

Holster Maker

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always carry hollow points. I prefer speer gold dot, espically in the 155 grain .40. When I've been to body armor demo's, that round preformed the best of all ammo that was shot at the body armor, which leads me to believe that it delivers the most energy to the target.

mmcbeat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only time I ever carried fmj ammo was a stage I was going through. I was trying to rationalize a 3" 1911 as a carry gun. I tried two (Kimber, Colt), neither gun was dependable but both were more dependable with fmj. I have carried only jhp since I sold the last 3" 1911.

Southrange61

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm using 9mm FMJ in my Glock 26, only because that's my practice ammo and I know it's fully reliable. When I can afford to (and find) enough good defensive ammo to do a function check then I'll transition to it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom