Does anyone carry with FMJ bullets?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What type of ammo do you use in you CCW?

• FMJ

Votes: 47 11.6%
  • JHP

Votes: 358 88.4%

• Total voters

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
380 or 45 are the only guns Id feel comfortable running fmjs for defense.

Why .380? I thought it was considered to be the minimum power level acceptable for a self defense cartridge so you'd want all the hollow-point help you could get.

And .45 is probably better than 9mm if you're using ball, since the bullet isn't expanding and you want to make the biggest hole you can, but I still wouldn't be comfortable using it in a defense pistol.

ssgrock3 said:
how very graphic

Yeah the story kind of creeped me out a little bit.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh, by the way, this website has a bunch of articles about various bullets and their effectiveness: http://www.firearmstactical.com/

The authors, unlike many gun writers, understand scientific rigor. They not only use it to test ammo, but point out flaws in some other authors' methodology. They haven't published a "Tactical Brief" in a while, but what they have is a good read. They also publish performance data for various defense loads as tested by the FBI or whoever else does bullet testing.

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
.380 I use fmj. Everything else (bigger/faster) I use hollow point. I firmly believe you need to get penetration to damage organs/spine. An expanding .380 doesn't seem to penetrate much; in gell anyway compared to bigger stuff. Add to that it's all together likely you'll be trying to punch through other things to get to vitals such as: heavy coat, forearm, wrist, bicep, arm bones, sternum bone. Just seems the .380 needs all the penetration help it can get.

Duck Shot

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry my .45's with 230gr ball. I KNOW it will feed,even unexpanded it has a wider crosssection than an expanded 9mm.and, its my belief that in a situation where I have to convince a Judge that I was within my rights for shooting some hairball, I would rather look like a peace lover than a ravenous bloodthirsty killer. Remember, Liberals prefer Symbolism over substance.
BT

Good point, I love it:explode:

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry my .45's with 230gr ball. I KNOW it will feed,even unexpanded it has a wider crosssection than an expanded 9mm.and, its my belief that in a situation where I have to convince a Judge that I was within my rights for shooting some hairball, I would rather look like a peace lover than a ravenous bloodthirsty killer. Remember, Liberals prefer Symbolism over substance.
BT

I'm not sure where you get your data from, but according to my sources (http://www.firearmstactical.com/ammo_data/9mm.htm most notably) a good 9mm JHP will expand to WAAAY bigger than .45.

.45 ball is better than 9mm ball but I can't think of why you'd ever carry that now that decent hollowpoints are available to civilians. I never bought into the "OMG THE LIBRAL JURY WILL HANG ME FER HOLLOWPOINTS" stuff, especially living in Oklahoma (second-reddest of the red states, fella).

If it really bothers you, just ask your local PD what they put in their issue weapons and buy that. Being able to say "I just use the same defense ammo as our stalwart defenders of law and order" will go a long way towards making you look saner.

pbaumei

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
.45 is the only ammo, that could be considered for carry in a FMJ, its one shot stopping is about 60% in real world shootings, but a good FMJ like corbon or hydrashock has better than 90-96% in 9mm, .40 & .45. cant see why anyone would carry with FMJ. also if your gonna shoot, deliver a controlled pair, drastic increase in stopping success, and only 10-15% increase in mortality. I carry a Glock, it will feed, no matter what you put in it.

PB

Latest posts

Top Bottom