Does anyone carry with FMJ bullets?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What type of ammo do you use in you CCW?

• FMJ

Votes: 47 11.6%
  • JHP

Votes: 358 88.4%

• Total voters

Jeff_1

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
People don't carry JHP in a .25 or a .32 because with a bullet that small, going that slowly, anything that expands reliably won't penetrate deeply enough and anything that penetrates deeply enough won't expand (E: Wait, this statement is redundant)

This isn't true of 380, but maybe people mistakenly think that 380 has this problem.

Have you checked various jhp testings of 380 in 4layer denim BG? I did and I was not that impressed with how inconsistant they were out of a 3.5" barrel, if they oppened they didnt go deep enough and vice versa for the most part.

I can only imagine how poor they would perform out of anything less then 3"

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you checked various jhp testings of 380 in 4layer denim BG? I did and I was not that impressed with how inconsistant they were out of a 3.5" barrel, if they oppened they didnt go deep enough and vice versa for the most part.

Could I see your source?

380 is considered to be the bare minimum for a defense caliber, so I'm not surprised that it starts to get inconsistent through 4-layer denim. However, those other mouse calibers don't work even on bare gelatin. The data I've seen show 380 performing pretty well on bare gelatin, and since I'd most likely carry a 380 as a pocket gun in the summer that's alright for me.

Comte DeLoach

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Who wears 4 layers of denim? What, we have denim body armor now?
Please....4000X the daily recommended amount of water will make you drown, do we stop drinking water?

Winchester Silvertips in everything, they are accurate, they feed, and they work as expected. Thats in everything, 9mm and .380.

OSU Bowhunter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
When I carry my XD my first 5 rounds are JHP and the next 5 are FMJ. My reasoning is if I'm in a situation where I have to fire multiple shots, the bg will most likely be behind some cover by the time the first 5 rounds have been fired and the FMJ might penetrate the cover better than the FMJ.

RyAn007

Marksman
Reaction score
When I carry my XD my first 5 rounds are JHP and the next 5 are FMJ. My reasoning is if I'm in a situation where I have to fire multiple shots, the bg will most likely be behind some cover by the time the first 5 rounds have been fired and the FMJ might penetrate the cover better than the FMJ.

Don't you mean the FMJ will penetrate the cover better than the JHP? But yea, I see your logic, but either way, if it is a large enough round either or would be a good choice, but preferably I would stay with a JHP.

jarhead983

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm with you on this, but I carry JHP in the chamber and mag, but FMJ in my back up mag.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
have you shot hogs with a FMJ .45 that kept on coming?

300 grain JSP in my .44s which are primarily for hogs.

The above mentioned hog shoot with a .45 using FMJs is pretty typical of NEG (Not Enough Gun) when it comes to hogs. Hollow points are even worse, particularly in body shots on pigs. The skin on a boar's shoulder is often over two inches of scar tissue, and causes hollow points to sting very badly as they bottom out in the hide.

For daily carry, like most here, I carry FMJ in little guns and JHP in the larger ones. One exception. I like 230 grain FMJ in my .45s. CB

Latest posts

Top Bottom