Does anyone carry with FMJ bullets?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What type of ammo do you use in you CCW?

• FMJ

Votes: 47 11.6%
  • JHP

Votes: 358 88.4%

• Total voters

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Golden Sabre .45 JHP in my 1911, which feed very reliably with their rounded, ball-ammo style nose.

Never considered carrying in FMJ during the colder months. Do JHPs not have enough oomph to penetrate poofy First Down coats?

Some Hollow points have been know to clog up with stuff and fail to expand. Truth? Fiction? Who knows... but the story makes the rounds and tests have been done....etc, etc, etc.

Ball loads generally get good penetration (12 inches is sorta the base line)... but 45 ball creates fairly impressive cavitation as in passes through the wound channel.

I can see why some opinionators feel a .45 cal hole "for sure" beats a 9mm that may or may not expand (or loose it's jacket, fail other wise).

I dont know about the rest of you guys.... but a handgun, puny as they are, are a lot easier to tote than a M1 Garand.

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some Hollow points have been know to clog up with stuff and fail to expand. Truth? Fiction? Who knows... but the story makes the rounds and tests have been done....etc, etc, etc.

I've seen the claim and if it happens you have a FMJ don't you? Really I'd worry more about jacket separation and bullet weight retention. A good bonded bullet is more important to me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom