Does anyone have a lathe thats willing to teach basics?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shanerbanner10

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am looking to get started and do some barrel work. I 100% understand how the process works, just haven't ever been hands on with a lathe. I am hoping someone can help me get started and teach me some machining basics. Please shoot me a message if you are willing to help out. The machining needed for the barrels. No counter boring for the action I will be threading/chambering, just threading, reaming, and slight chamfers on the tenon and chamber. The action being used is Badger M2013. I have a handful of old barrels that I could chop up and practice on. I, also, plan on purchasing my own tooling (HSS inserts, JGS reamers, ect.). I would really just like someone who is experience to give me a run down of exactly how everything works although I have a pretty good idea.

Last edited:

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you have a lathe? I do some machining at work and have been through the Tulsa tech course for machining. I don't have a personal lathe and couldn't let you in my work, but if you have your own equipment I'd be glad to show you what I know.

Just reread your post. Sounds like you don't have access to one. Are you planning on getting one or just wanting to borrow someone else's for a job or two then being done?

Shanerbanner10

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you have a lathe? I do some machining at work and have been through the Tulsa tech course for machining. I don't have a personal lathe and couldn't let you in my work, but if you have your own equipment I'd be glad to show you what I know.

Just reread your post. Sounds like you don't have access to one. Are you planning on getting one or just wanting to borrow someone else's for a job or two then being done?

I am looking for someone who has a personal lathe or access to lathe that could show me some basics. I have done a ton of reading and watched a ton of videos as well. I feel that I understand quite well how the process works. As I said, I just have never actually had hands on a lathe. I am hoping that I could possibly do some barrel work on this lathe in the future once whomever may be kind enough has taught me the basics. I have used smiths in the past and still have a go to smith out in western Oklahoma, but I'd like to learn to do the work myself and be able to do it myself.
I fully understand that this is a pretty broad and bold request, but i guess it never hurts to ask.

Latest posts

Top Bottom