Does anyone here suffer from Parkinsons disease?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sedona

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you do have Parkinsons and would be more comfortable talking about it privately please p.m. me.My main question is my Mom has parkinsons and i need to find a cough syrup she can take.Robitussun and several others say not to use it if you have Parkinsons.What do you use? I have looked on the internet and asked a pharmacist and got conflicting answers.Having trouble getting a hold of her doctor or i would ask her.Thanks

Duncandl

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My father had Parkinson’s, I was his primary caretaker and his doctor was a friend from my mom’s hometown and he shot me straight about my dad. My dad refused all medication to make him comfortable and was a nightmare for all of us but he lived quite a while after his diagnosis. He had to have 3 golden raisins soaked in Gin every day. Very homeopathic type of man his entire life. He swore by them and kept a mason jar in his fridge at all times with his concoction. Fast forward a couple of years and we have to move him into an assisted living facility due to dementia and his care was more than I could provide. I bought him a dorm fridge and he drank ensure and the doctor wrote him a prescription for his bottle of gin so he could continue his desire to eat those raisins.

Weird story, I know. I wish I had more advice to share with you on a cough syrup but whenever he got agitated I always asked him about his raisins and gin. He would settle down enough to look/glare at me and usually he calmed for a while. Find whatever makes her happy, ask your doctor if she can have it and make sure she always has it when she needs a crutch.

Prayers for you and the family, my father could have lived for many more years if he would have listened to his doctors advice regarding medication but he refused anything that “mess him up”. Dementia finally took its firm grip on him and I still believe after 6 years he just forgot how to live any longer. But Parkinson’s was managed the entire time with special utensils and bowls/cups made to negate all the shaking while eating. Look into the google spoon, it wasn’t out yet in 2015 but hopefully it is now.

Good luck and god bless you.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My FIL had Parkinson’s before getting dementia and being committed to a memory care unit.
He never had the tremors, but the effects was sundowners as determined by Dr’s.
He never recovered.

sedona

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, and Duncandl I appreciate you telling me about special bowls,cups and utensils.My Mom also has dementia and it seems like they go together alot of times.I got a hold of the doctor this morning and she helped me out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom