Does anyone like the auto stop feature on GM products

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My cousin has all that crap on a Cadillac his wife just bought, and HATES IT! I don't know if he has figured out how to turn it all off yet, or not.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't driven a vehicle with auto-start/-stop, but I have several friends and acquaintances who have them. A friend with a BMW hates it, but the guys with Fords pretty much agree that while it was disconcerting at first, it didn't take long to get to the point that they no longer noticed it.

I'm pretty sure you can use the free FORScan software to permanently disable auto-start/-stop on Fords. You might look to see if there's an equivalent package for GM products.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Threw me for a loop the first time I drove a car with this.
It will wear out the starter..seems to me.
Can't help but suspect this bad design is the result of trying to comply with emission requirements.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Threw me for a loop the first time I drove a car with this.
It will wear out the starter..seems to me.
Can't help but suspect this bad design is the result of trying to comply with emission requirements.
It's for fuel efficiency more than emissions (rather than getting 0mpg sitting at a stoplight, you burn 0gph if the engine is off). The starters (and other electrical components) in auto-start/-stop vehicles are sized for the increased usage, so wear and tear isn't any more than on a "normal" vehicle, relatively speaking.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If we are trusted with firearms, surely we can figure out how to drive different vehicles. We can sometimes be a little "snowflake" like...

It's not a matter of figuring it out. It's a matter of not liking it, not wanting it, but having it forced upon us.

Next thing you know, they'll make us wear seatbelts!

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
3 of my wife’s Porsche’s have had it. The first in 2011 would stay off if you turned it off. Her 2017 and 2018, they reset to default of being turned on. Which sucks. Her new 2019 that we are supposed to take deliver of later this week has it too. And supposedly it defaults to being turned on too. There is a company that makes an add on that overrides that. I am corresponding with them now about availability on 2019’s. I will admit that the execution of it is very smooth and unobtrusive. I just agree with what was said above, I hate anything being forced on us.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
3 of my wife’s Porsche’s have had it. The first in 2011 would stay off if you turned it off. Her 2017 and 2018, they reset to default of being turned on. Which sucks. Her new 2019 that we are supposed to take deliver of later this week has it too. And supposedly it defaults to being turned on too. There is a company that makes an add on that overrides that. I am corresponding with them now about availability on 2019’s. I will admit that the execution of it is very smooth and unobtrusive. I just agree with what was said above, I hate anything being forced on us.

Adopt me, Daddy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom