Does anyone like the auto stop feature on GM products

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We recently bought dad a 2017 Buick Envision and it has the auto stop feature. I personally vote "no" I don't like it. How about you guys?

I had a 2016 F-150, traded it in last year for a 2018 that had the Stop/Start. Hated it at first, got to kind of tolerate it after a bit, but I just had it tuned out anyways.

SABOT

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm old enough to remember a time where I had no anti-lock brakes, manual locks, hand crank windows, no cruise control and no tilt steering. But I guess i'm either young enough or a enough of a geek that I like most of the new technologies such as hands free phone connectionj, auto door locks, blind spot warnings, backup camera, seatbelt warning. As well as auto unlock as I approach the vehicle.
I've had several Chevys over the years and I will most likely not ever have another one. I have a Jeep with the auto-start. It weirded me out for a while, but now it does not bother me. I do wonder about wear and tear on the starter though.

Last edited:

Merica

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Doesn't really bother me but the cylinder deactivation stuff does. Some cars have a separate starter for the auto stop feature, so if it wears out you can still start the car normally. It should always be possible to permanently disable with some computer programming. For VW products you can use the VAG-COM software which is really handy for many other things as well. If you drive a majority in city stoplights, it could save a lot of money over the life of the car.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Google Ford bailout. They were hardly innocent.

Ford took out loans for government mandated requirements. And, they didn't have to do a bankruptcy like GM and Chrysler.

As for the new features on vehicles, I don't like a lot of the nonsense that is put on them anymore. I don't like people relying on their vehicles to brake when approaching other vehicles, lane assists, and parking assists, mostly because they will get out of the proper habits of driving. I also don't like the new vehicles with fobs that allow starting without even using a key. Someone steals a woman's purse, and they then have access to her vehicle. And then, if one has put their "home" address in the GPS system, they could also have instructions on how to get to her home.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If they steal her purse they probably have her keys and home address anyway.

But there are legitimate security concerns about many of the new technologies. Some of it is scary. But older technologies had security holes as well, they were just different.

Latest posts

Top Bottom