Does brand/price matter?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve had great luck with Hornady. My Surgeon 6.5 Creedmoor will print 0.25” groups with factory Hornady, provided it’s the same lot number.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been down this road.
Old trusty 30-30 never missed a shot and put many deer in the freezer.
That was with ammo from the 1980's when a 20 count box of ammo would last 5 years.
Yep did not shoot much.
Man, that brought back some memories. I started deer hunting in 1980, and in the following year, my FIL at the time decided to start deer hunting as well. He bought a Marlin 336 30-30 lever gun and a box of Rem Core Lokd round nose. He fired the first shot at 50 yds and was dead center on the target. He hunted the following 18 years with me taking one deer with one shot from that same box of shells before health issues kept him from the woods. He passed away last year with one bullet left in that original box.
He is my ex-fil now from 30 years past, but we still communicated and enjoyed each other's company. Neither my ex wife or BIL hunt. I need to see what they did with that gun. I'd like to have it for memories sake. I'm on friendly talking terms with both.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Great story dennishoddy. It is amazing how long that old good ammo stays accurate.
I do not know what they did different back with the ammo then but it was just like that.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man, that brought back some memories. I started deer hunting in 1980, and in the following year, my FIL at the time decided to start deer hunting as well. He bought a Marlin 336 30-30 lever gun and a box of Rem Core Lokd round nose. He fired the first shot at 50 yds and was dead center on the target. He hunted the following 18 years with me taking one deer with one shot from that same box of shells before health issues kept him from the woods. He passed away last year with one bullet left in that original box.
He is my ex-fil now from 30 years past, but we still communicated and enjoyed each other's company. Neither my ex wife or BIL hunt. I need to see what they did with that gun. I'd like to have it for memories sake. I'm on friendly talking terms with both.

Sounds exactly like my grandpa. He had his old “ought six,” and no other large caliber rifle. One round a year.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Premium ammo is exactly that. Premium bullets, premium price.

My old .30-06 hates Federal red box. Target looks like it shot with buckshot through a spreader.

Hand loading used to be about saving money and extracting the maximum accuracy with loads tailored to your gun.
Today, it seems more of finding your perfect bullet for your rifle. You can still save money, on a cost per shot basis; but you spend more by shooting more.

Back to my .30-06, Federal red box 150gr shoots 6" groups, at best. Started reloading 45 years ago, yes I'm old, worked up a load of 54.5 gr 4064 and Sierra 150gr SP. Shoots 3/4" groups. Still using the same load.
Worked up a load for a Colorado hunt, decided 180 gr would be better for elk. 52.5 gr 4064 with 180 gr Hornady BTHP shot 3-4" groups @ 300 yrds.

I reload because I enjoy it. I have, yet, to create a more accurate load, equal not better, for my .223 bolt action. It loves anything from 60-64 gr.

Latest posts

Top Bottom