Does Oklahoma have any laws for how much powder can be stored in a residence?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Home storage is usually not a state regulated issue. That falls on the Fire Marshall in your jurisdiction. Also, since you've interested you're curious, might want to check on your homeowners policy.

That has been my experience. The local Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) makes the regulations for the fire codes. The biggest problem is that one city's rules are not the same as another city's rules and can vary greatly. If your city does not have those regulations, then the State Fire Marshal has jurisdiction and the requirements would be under their adopted codes.

I received a complaint from an anonmyous caller who was reporting what he considered a "large quantity" of powder and ammunition that had been delivered to a residence in SE Okc. After a little poking around, it was determined that the recipient was an avid reloader and the caller was probably the delivery driver. No violations were found and no action was taken. We received another complaint later in the year from the same caller for the same address.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wouldn't ask. I would just store it in a Dry Fire Proof Safe and be happy, happy, happy.

And if your really worried you have to much and happen to have any extra Lil Gun, PM ME!

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
SAAMI website has recommendations about powder storage, and they caution against strong containers like safes that turn into bombs in the unlikely event of a fire. Uncontained, smokeless powder just burns; contained, it gets violent.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That has been my experience. The local Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) makes the regulations for the fire codes. The biggest problem is that one city's rules are not the same as another city's rules and can vary greatly. If your city does not have those regulations, then the State Fire Marshal has jurisdiction and the requirements would be under their adopted codes.

I received a complaint from an anonmyous caller who was reporting what he considered a "large quantity" of powder and ammunition that had been delivered to a residence in SE Okc. After a little poking around, it was determined that the recipient was an avid reloader and the caller was probably the delivery driver. No violations were found and no action was taken. We received another complaint later in the year from the same caller for the same address.

When I lived in town, I was gone when the delivery driver came, so the neighbor said she would accept delivery. He sat the packages of primers, and powder on her step, and left. She spotted the explosives, and danger label, freeked out, got her kids and was sitting on my porch when I got home. She had no clue and expressed concern that I would be keeping explosive material that close to her house.
Took a little explaining to get her comfortable with it.

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is. I don't remember what it is. As fyrtwuck said, there may be variations, but everyone follows a variation of the International Fire Code.

Latest posts

Top Bottom